PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl + Plastic Dye

enRo
04-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Any suggestions? Brand, type... i plan on redoing the interior black now that ttop weatherstripping is on its way (dont have to worry about the major leaks). Kick panels, side panels, trunk panels... possibly the console. Just searched google and saw vinyl/plastic-dye for $130.00 a Litre. Thanks

-Noah

Untamed
04-06-2005, 10:07 PM
HardcoreZ28 and I talked about the same thing. I would use paint for the plastics, and dye for the vinyl / leather. The cheapest dye is probably in the grocery store, called RIT. Comes in small ready-use bottles and hard, desolvable tabs for lighter dying (color isnt as rich). Or go to any Michaels home goods for better quality dyes. Can't give you any good brand names unfortunately as I haven't done it yet personally. HardcoreZ28 has done it, he can help.

HardcoreZ28
04-07-2005, 07:57 AM
For the plastics I would suggest SEM or Krylon Fusion...or if it's the textured plastic I believe Dupli-Color or Plasti-Kote makes something called Flexible Bumper and Trim Paint in a rattle can. They sell it at Pep Boys....I've used it successfully on a lot of things, however it doesn't lay out as well on flat plastic.

For your vinyl, rubber, leather parts use dye. I just used this rattle can stuff from Pep Boys as well but I can't remember the name. It went on great but I can't attest to it's longevity since I just did the work. I used it on my shifter know, e-brake handle, and center console lid.

enRo
04-07-2005, 07:47 PM
I tried Krylon last summer, spraying it on the kick panels and the rear trunk panel... right now, about half of that paint is still sticking and the other half ended up getting vaccumed off the floor :( Ill check out SEM and the flexible bumper paint. Thanks

HardcoreZ28
04-08-2005, 07:44 AM
I've never used Krylon Fusion but heard it works great as long as you use the adhesion promoter. Believe it or not though I used regular Krylon to repaint the dash in my truck a year ago and it still looks brand new. Maybe because it doesn't get touched, brushed, rubbed, etc. on a daily basis?

bad64chevelle
04-12-2005, 12:43 PM
I just did the kick panels in the chevelle, and used some VHT dye. What I did was sandblasted the plastic (be careful and put the compressor on a low setting) and then my dad sprayed them with the VHT over the week sometime while i was up here at school. I thought they were brand new pieces! They look excellent. I will get you the PN this weekend and let you know.

HardcoreZ28
04-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Hmmm I might have to try blasting the ones in my Camaro when I repaint them. I have some scratches that I want to take down a little but they are that textured plastic and I don't want to smooth it out.

bad64chevelle
04-12-2005, 02:08 PM
The testure on mine are exactly the same way it came from the factory as. If you want, ill post a pic up this weekend. If you blast lightly enough nothing will happen.