PDA

View Full Version : LT1 Tune

sleeperMULLET
04-18-2005, 11:23 PM
i have the hypertech power programmer for when i get my new gears installed, but i just got my lt's and full exhaust done, is there anyone who can help me with a good LT1 tune, its a 1995 Z28 and i'm a little confused in this whole tuning area, all help is appreciated :D

Fasterthanyou
04-19-2005, 12:02 AM
In all honesty, the 94-95 LT1 tunes are great if you've still got a cat on the car. If not, you can lean it out a tad and try a couple degrees of timing in the 3200-redline area's. Do NOT add timing to the part throttle stuff. Other than that, changing fan temps and a few other "tweaks" make it useful. Also, with a larger cam you want to add in more SA in the idle area, I have it down to a science but I hold those secrets close to my heart. In other words it's not free :) . I'll just give you hints and clues on what to try if you show the initiative which you are doing. Then take the car to the track and adjust the PE fueling till you're getting the best trap speeds and ET's, that's how you tune. I've got a generic Lt1 tune made up for stockers that'll add 10-15hp and still let you run on mid grade.

sleeperMULLET
04-19-2005, 09:36 AM
so how do you tune, do you have a laptop hookup kind of thing, i didn't expect anything for free, i will gladly pay for more horsepower, but should i wait till i get my new gears installed or will a tune help immediatley? also i never took it to the track and i don't think i will be going very often. and i have no cats.

IROCdan330
04-19-2005, 02:48 PM
just out of curiosity Jon...

on a stock 5.7 chip what would my engine make at the wheels, and with your tune how much of an increase is there? just wonderin how many horses im paying for...

oh, and sleeperMULLET...listen to this guy...pay him money...go fast :D

foff667
04-19-2005, 03:02 PM
so how do you tune, do you have a laptop hookup kind of thing, i didn't expect anything for free, i will gladly pay for more horsepower, but should i wait till i get my new gears installed or will a tune help immediatley? also i never took it to the track and i don't think i will be going very often. and i have no cats.

IMHO a tune on any level is a good thing from stock to heavily modded...but im partial...Jon charges $150 for a full tune and does very good work.

foff667
04-19-2005, 03:05 PM
just out of curiosity Jon...

on a stock 5.7 chip what would my engine make at the wheels, and with your tune how much of an increase is there? Â*just wonderin how many horses im paying for...

oh, and sleeperMULLET...listen to this guy...pay him money...go fast Â*:D

I know this isnt aimed at me but MY tuning isnt per hp per say...sometimes you'll gain little to nothing as far as peak hp on the dynos and gain 2-3 tenths and 3-4mph at the track. Personally dyno figures mean little to nothing to me...driveability & track/street performance do.

IROCdan330
04-19-2005, 03:46 PM
I know this isnt aimed at me but MY tuning isnt per hp per say...sometimes you'll gain little to nothing as far as peak hp on the dynos and gain 2-3 tenths and 3-4mph at the track. Â*Personally dyno figures mean little to nothing to me...driveability & track/street performance do.

true but i know that ill be gaining probably at least 20 horses at the wheels with him tuning it, as well as some time.

you see, ive seen people with the same type of engine setup i have, and with a pcmforless tune, they made 265 rwhp and about 375 rwtq. with an ed wright tune the combo made 285 and about 400 tq. this is all still mail order stuff. so i know with the tune ill be close to my goal of 300 rwhp and stuff, and still have a kickass daily driver, whereas the other tunes are for 1/4 only.

oh, and on Horsepower TV, they stroked a ford 302 to a 347. They used some accel tuning thing for it, originally made about 300 at the flywheel...then by leaning out the engine at some point it made 372. thats a substantial increase.

foff667
04-19-2005, 04:41 PM
I know this isnt aimed at me but MY tuning isnt per hp per say...sometimes you'll gain little to nothing as far as peak hp on the dynos and gain 2-3 tenths and 3-4mph at the track. Â*Personally dyno figures mean little to nothing to me...driveability & track/street performance do.

true but i know that ill be gaining probably at least 20 horses at the wheels with him tuning it, as well as some time.

you see, ive seen people with the same type of engine setup i have, and with a pcmforless tune, they made 265 rwhp and about 375 rwtq. Â*with an ed wright tune the combo made 285 and about 400 tq. Â*this is all still mail order stuff. Â* so i know with the tune ill be close to my goal of 300 rwhp and stuff, and still have a kickass daily driver, whereas the other tunes are for 1/4 only. Â*

oh, and on Horsepower TV, they stroked a ford 302 to a 347. Â*They used some accel tuning thing for it, originally made about 300 at the flywheel...then by leaning out the engine at some point it made 372. Â*thats a substantial increase.

thats great, and my cartek tuned heads/cam ls1 made 373/340 to the wheels but only ran 12.9@112.00 and thats a dyno tune not mail I pulled their tune in favor of the stock tune with exception of idle & shift points and ran quicker(12.7) and faster mph (112.12) on a 30* warmer day...the point being dyno #'s mean absolutly nothing.

IROCdan330
04-19-2005, 06:11 PM
ok ok take it easy, i was just curious as to how many rwhp more i was going to be making after Jon tuned it. Â*i was asking specifically about horsepower not track times...im confident he will be able to put the power where it needs to be and ill be able to run my goal time. Â*i was just curious as to how many more hp it would be at the rear wheels compared to stock tune on a 5.7 chip.

it was more of me asking for a hp:money type thing...it shows a tune is probably the most efficient way to gain HP, ET, and trap speed.

89 Trans Am WS6
04-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Jon once i do my plugs and wires i think im going to be in need of a tune..its a basic bolton car with what i beleive to be a stock tune..could you pm me with any details of how wecan set something up and what you do exatly..(not the inside secrets, i mean is it done at a track or what?)

sleeperMULLET
04-19-2005, 08:40 PM
how do i go about getting a tune from you Fasterthanyou, i am very interested :D

Fasterthanyou
04-20-2005, 07:50 PM
how do i go about getting a tune from you Fasterthanyou, i am very interested :D
We meet up sometime on a dark scary road where I can jack you and tell everybody here how stupid you were for trusting me... no seriously, just work in a day that we aren't both busy and I tune for an hour or so. The LT1's are great because their ecm/pcm's are already very performance oriented (fastburn head design).

ar0ck
04-20-2005, 11:47 PM
how do i go about getting a tune from you Fasterthanyou, i am very interested Â*:D
We meet up sometime on a dark scary road where I can jack you and tell everybody here how stupid you were for trusting me... no seriously, just work in a day that we aren't both busy and I tune for an hour or so. The LT1's are great because their ecm/pcm's are already very performance oriented (fastburn head design).

PM sent :idea:

deadtrend1
04-22-2005, 05:27 PM
I wish my car was made one year earlier ....... that way jon could tune it like he did my old one

Fasterthanyou
04-23-2005, 05:43 PM
I wish my car was made one year earlier ....... that way jon could tune it like he did my old one
Swap in a 94-95 pcm for daily driving, use the 96 for passing emissions :) .