PDA

View Full Version : remote EGR help

IROCdan330
04-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Finally got the engine out of the crate today and on its stand. Got a chance to open the remote mount EGR kit from scoggin dickey. All is was, was a bunch of TPI plenum gaskets, 2 tubes, and some more gaskets. WTF i paid 70 bucks for this.

There is one long tube, in the shape on an elongated V, about 12 inchesin length, with flanges on both sides...then the shorter tube is basically a flang with a 45 degree tube on it, about 6 inches in length. The longer tube has a fitting drilled into it, for what i dont know yet. I called scoggin dickey and asked why no instructions were in the kit, and the guy was kind of like a hick on the phone with a hardcore texan accent, said "yeeea thats because its a universal kit, are you running headers?" and i said yes...he said "yea youve got to basically drill a header and then run it to your EGR valve." um ok.

no clue how to do this, supposedly the intake base plate seen here:
http://www.sdpc2000.com/images/products/3530697_6533583.jpg
has no EGR port in it, which is why I need the install kit

can someone give me a better idea of what to do?

Fasterthanyou
04-21-2005, 04:20 PM
http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=266478&highlight=vortec+tpi+egr

IROCdan330
04-21-2005, 04:28 PM
thanks Jon.

still dont quite get the overall installation, however the pic on there helps a little bit. Â*Is there anyway I can drill the header and not chip the ceramic coating? Â*or can I go through my AIR or anything like that? Â*also, after drilling, how would i seal it to the header?

if you or anyone could give me the step-by-step instruction, if you know it, id appreciate it.

Fasterthanyou
04-21-2005, 04:34 PM
EGR doesn't need to be hot to work. It's the fact that there is very little oxygen in the exhaust gas. So why not tap into the y-pipe? I'd weld it. Also, be sure you're using the correct EGR valve because some are low pressure, some are high, you want the low if going off the y-pipe.
Don't go on the header, you might be able to tap into the AIR, that sounds like the easiest way to a functioning EGR. Don't worry about AIR into the headers from the smog pump, it's only used to heat up the cat and oxygen sensor faster... they heat up pretty quick with a hotter than stock motor ;)

IROCdan330
04-21-2005, 05:09 PM
so youre saying elongate the tube that they gave me and go from the y-pipe? the y-pipe used to be coated but the salt ate that **** real quick. can you link me to where i can find an EGR like youre saying...with my luck my teacher would go to order one for me and get a stock 87 one. will the EGR still go in the same spot just needs that tube from the exhaust to get the gasses i guess?