PDA

View Full Version : help me pick an LS1 cam, maybe other bolt ons and tuning?

V
04-24-2005, 12:28 PM
ok, i have a 2001 LS1 w/M6 and just for the hell of it I want to install a cam. I'm in the process of planning and building a stroked 6.0l, but for the time being i want to play with my ls1. My current mods are...airlid, k&n, edelbrock shorty headers, off road y-pipe, and magnaflow catback. I just want a mild cam nothing to crazy. If i can get away without computer tuning that would be the best, otherwise i'd need that too. Oh yeah...i am sorta thinking about adding a 100 shot of spray so it would need to be good for that too. I saw thunder racing cams are all 389.99 now and that seems good but i dont know which if any, i should get. Please give me some advice or info on other brands, i'm open to anything. i have cash now so i wanna buy it soon before i waste it on somethng else. also what else are simple bolt ons that would make a difference? i will nto change the heads though, but are mafs and throttle bodies worth it, i already have the ls6 version intake so thats fine. lastly, would computer tuning give me that much improvement over stock now? i guess id get soemthing, but i'm not going the power programmer route, not worth it IMO, i'll pay to have it done right.thanks in advance.

Ian
04-24-2005, 12:50 PM
From what I've heard, tuning even a stock motor can yield a decent amout of power. Whatever cam you end up getting, definitly get it tuned.

And I see in your sig that you're slamming a truck. If you want, I have an 85 C-10, short bed, standard cab, two wheel drive for sale. no motor or trans, but it comes with new cab corners. CHEAP. Like, less than one of those camshafts you were talking about cheap.

1RawTA
04-24-2005, 02:58 PM
id go with a thunder racing 224 cam.... but u may have to do tuning, i know a few people running it without tuning and it stalls occasionally

NJSPEEDER
04-24-2005, 03:59 PM
i agree with ian, regardless of what cam you get tune it.
how nuts do you wanna go with teh cam? there are a bunch of cam only cars on ls1tech.com that are absolutely flying.

later
tim

V
04-24-2005, 05:04 PM
yea, i pretty much figured id need tuning, ill just pay to have it done right, now i need to find a place local.
I'll go as crazy as I can with the cam, as long as it idles somewhat thats fine, lol. I saw the TR t-rex cam but i dont know if thats too much or what. I just want to get as much power as i can since this will be the only internal engine mod i will be doing to this ls1(while its still in my SS at least). What it all comes down to, is that i want to get my SS at least into the mid 12's, not a hard task i think. I ran 13.6 bone stock and now with the a new cam, the full exhaust, airlid, and full sphon rear suspension setup i think i should be fine.

NJSPEEDER
04-24-2005, 05:17 PM
talk to foff667. he did his own cam and head install on his car. he also does tuning. he can prolly hook you up with all teh knowledge you will need to pick a cam and get it installed correctly.

later
tim

Batman
04-25-2005, 06:54 AM
Tr 224 cam is very good, so is the LS1 hotcam from GMPP. Personally I would go with something in the 230/230 range if I was doing it again. Makes real good power on a stock block and is very liveable and idles smoothly. Keep in mind any cam swap you are most likely going to need to do valvesprings. I got mine done at Rapid Motorsports in Reading, PA. Mike (the owner) put it in in about 4 hours and had it tuned by early afternoon. When all is said and done you are probably going to spend between $700 and $1000 for the whole swap, plus tuning. I can also say that Rapid's tuning is top shelf, with just my GM Hotcam he pulled an extra 22RWH just from tuning. I ended up with 380 at the wheels from a $400 cam kit. I'd give him a call with your mods and he will custom grind a cam for you. Tuning also isn't cheap, normally it runs between $300 and $500 depending on the tuner. I'd stay away from the nitrous unless you use it sparingly an that will also determine what kind of cam you want. It is better to have some extra exhaust duration for nitrous, help relive the pressure in the cylinders. I'd also ditch the shorty headers and get some longtubes, with a cam the shorty's aren't going to give you the full potential. Now adays it isn't unlikely to see most cam only cars making 375-400+ to the wheels and be very driveable. A good quality poted Throttlebody is a good idea, I think thunder racing does them for around $175? As for the MAF keep the stocker or upgrade to the Z06 MAF and get it tuned with the car. I'm running 11's on a stock MAF with no issues (was cam only BTW). Biggest things are decide about the nitrous first and make sure you upgrade the valvesprings and seats while you are in there.