PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever drive on the street with a spool instead of posi

84HOtransam
05-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Like it says has anyone done it?

ar0ck
05-16-2005, 10:53 PM
All I know is if its a Full Spool it'll most like create uneaven tread wear on the tires when you make turns. Id say go for a Locker if its street driven.

78camaro
05-16-2005, 11:00 PM
All I know is if its a Full Spool it'll most like create uneaven tread wear on the tires when you make turns. Â*Id say go for a Locker if its street driven.

he forgot to mention the car is gunna see under 3k miles a year..

ar0ck
05-17-2005, 12:07 AM
All I know is if its a Full Spool it'll most like create uneaven tread wear on the tires when you make turns. Â*Id say go for a Locker if its street driven.

he forgot to mention the car is gunna see under 3k miles a year..

I dont care you still gotta take turns :lol:

Slow Z
05-17-2005, 02:05 AM
The main issue would be your axles. If you run a spool with weak (stock) axles you'll most likely break them - at the worst possible time. I know quite a few people who run spools on the street without any issues. Just gonna make it real fun making sharp turns at low speeds, or getting into parking spots... Also I wouldnt even think about driving in the rain.

Batman
05-17-2005, 05:42 AM
I wouldn't do it. It'll take 10 tries to park the damn thing. Stick with a Posi if it is going to be street driven. I had a spool for about 3 days, one of the worst experiences of my life.

84HOtransam
05-18-2005, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't do it. It'll take 10 tries to park the damn thing. Stick with a Posi if it is going to be street driven. I had a spool for about 3 days, one of the worst experiences of my life.

yea it will be in the 12 bolt with 33 spline axles..will the posi lock when i want it to...i have a stock posi and it only works like half the time..

Tru2Chevy
05-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Well, if your stocker only works 1/2 the time that means it's dieing.

- Justin

calhoon
05-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Getcha a nice Auburn unit. My dad put one in his El Camino and even with no weight in the back and narrow tires it hooks up better than my open diff RS.

84HOtransam
05-19-2005, 04:08 AM

- Justin

well it used to work half of the time..now it just clanks when i try to move the car out of my garage so id assume its completly dead..

LT!freak94
05-19-2005, 07:21 AM
dude mine did that click thing and my rear went like a month later so be carful

Tru2Chevy
05-19-2005, 08:46 AM
well it used to work half of the time..now it just clanks when i try to move the car out of my garage so id assume its completly dead..

Yea, that's what it sounds like. Honestly I wouldn't bother with a spool unless you plan on trailering the car most places. Spend the money on a good posi (Eaton, Auburn Pro, etc) and make sure everything else is up to par.

- Justin

12secondv6
05-24-2005, 06:30 PM
I run the Powertrax locker diff.

I'm happy... loud as hell when going around turns... but dead locks in straight line.

Let me know if ya have questions.

Ian
05-24-2005, 08:09 PM
My buddy from school had a 66 Stang GT with a spool. He drove from west virginia to pittsburgh with it. Then one weekend he drove it from Pitt to ocean city maryland :shock: for hot rod weekend. That was interesting :lol:

I would advise against a spool on the street. Get a locker, like james said. It may be loud, but at least it disengages.

NJSPEEDER
05-24-2005, 08:39 PM
spools ride down the highway fine. it is sharp turns theydon't like. you can protect your axles a little bit with big soft tires, but that isn't a very realistic answer in a street car.
lockers are junk. i don't know how everyone got started on them. they are not consistant or as predictable as a cone or clutch type posi unit. i have seen far too many people brag about their brand new locker only to see them peg leg it out of the hole cause it decided to unlock or skip teeth.
lockers are designed for conditions like off roading where there is not a lot of positive break away pressure. for drag racing adn street driing all you are gonna do is eat them up and wish you had a real posi in the first place.
get an auburn pro series or something of similar quality and your problem will be solved.

later
tim

JL8Jeff
05-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Bryan Loo runs one in his 99 SS. He said that parking and off ramps can get pretty interesting. If you really plan on driving the car other than racing, it's probably not a good idea.

badzracing
05-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Do NOT buy an auburn. I broke their "pro-series" within weeks of having it. I now have an Eaton. I have made many passes with it and a lot of them were leaving at 4000rpm on slicks ( in a 4500 truck). The tranny broke twice ( it's now an automatic), but the Eaton still performs like it's brand new.

Tru2Chevy
05-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Do NOT buy an auburn. I broke their "pro-series" within weeks of having it. I now have an Eaton. I have made many passes with it and a lot of them were leaving at 4000rpm on slicks ( in a 4500 truck). The tranny broke twice ( it's now an automatic), but the Eaton still performs like it's brand new.

Maybe you just got a bad one man....I've seen plenty of them last a long time behind very stout motors.

- Justin

badzracing
05-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Do NOT buy an auburn. I broke their "pro-series" within weeks of having it. I now have an Eaton. I have made many passes with it and a lot of them were leaving at 4000rpm Â*on slicks ( in a 4500 truck). The tranny broke twice ( it's now an automatic), but the Eaton still performs like it's brand new.

Maybe you just got a bad one man....I've seen plenty of them last a long time behind very stout motors.

- Justin Maybe, but I know many people who have broken them. I thought " I'll get the pro-series, it's gotta be strong enough for my application." I found I was terribly mistaken. Many people believe it's an inferior design.