PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission Fluid

ar0ck
05-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Whats a common interval to check or change the fluid in a manual transmission?

Any tall tail signs that it needs to be changed?

If its changed is it possible to free up loss power in the drivetrain?
- Does the same go for rear-end fluid?

My car is slowly aproaching the 100,000 mile marker so it'll be going to the shop for maitnance and tune up work.

foff667
05-19-2005, 02:11 PM
i do it every 15-30k miles, no really tell tale signs that i know of and it really wont free up anything.

The Fixer
05-19-2005, 06:19 PM
The T56 and T5 uses good old ATF, which is pretty slick anyway. Only way you make pick up some power is with a synthetic, but I doubt it.

Little G
05-19-2005, 06:56 PM
The manual actually says it never needs to be changed. I change mine every season along with the rear fluid.

Fasterthanyou
05-19-2005, 10:48 PM
The manual actually says it never needs to be changed. I change mine every season along with the rear fluid.
It's a good idea to change it. They "say" it never needs to be changed with the key word being they. Who are they? Well they're the guys that want to profit from repair parts and support their industry. The transmissions should last through the warrenty but then it gets sloppy... but works, lol.
What exactly happens when you miss a gear? Why, if the fluid never needs changing, do they need rebuilds? :wink:
Changing the fluid is also good to monitor the condition of the internal parts.

Pampered-Z
05-20-2005, 10:14 PM
I use Royal purpal and find it much better in that the trans shifts much smoother during the winter when it's cold. Check it yearly, change every 2 years to be safe.

Also, you should change the differential fluid every 30K miles. If you race then do it every 20K/year. Make sure you always use fluid that is for posi's, and always add a bottle of GM posi-rear fluid so you don't burn up the posi unt! I've used the semi-synthetic for years with no problem.