PDA

View Full Version : Brake line question

Tru2Chevy
05-30-2005, 06:08 PM
I discovered a crack in the brake line that runs from the master cylinder to the rear today. It appears to be broken right where the fitting is that connects it to the short rubber line with the junction block that splits for each rear drum.

Would it be better to search for a replacement line, buy a bunch of tubing and make my own replacement line, or cut the current one and fix it using a flare tool, adaptors, and a short section of line?

I have never fooled with brake lines before, so any help would be much appreciated.

- Justin

The Fixer
05-30-2005, 09:33 PM
www.classictube.com or www.inlinetube.com will probably have that entire section, but it'll be pricey. The budget fix would be to cut that section off, double flare the end and get a new fitting to match the rubber line, and put it together again. The choice is yours; how much you wanna spend?

Squirrel
05-30-2005, 10:07 PM
its not really how much he has to spend, its more a thing of time restraints

Tru2Chevy
05-31-2005, 10:09 AM
www.classictube.com or www.inlinetube.com will probably have that entire section, but it'll be pricey. The budget fix would be to cut that section off, double flare the end and get a new fitting to match the rubber line, and put it together again. The choice is yours; how much you wanna spend?

Thanks Steve, looks like I can get a full 7 piece stainless brake line set from inlinetube for $180.00. I may just go that route since I have some extra money.

its not really how much he has to spend, its more a thing of time restraints

And Eric, I think mom will let me go a few extra days for unknown broken parts popping up. As much as she wants the car out of the driveway, I really don't think she wants me driving that thing with no brakes :D

- Justin

Tru2Chevy
05-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Update: Mom doesn't care what is broken, the car must leave the driveway tomorrow.

I have been told that the car will be "driveable" if the front brakes are bled and the master cylinder is kept full. The line in question only leaks when pressure is applied. Think this would be safe just to go from the street to the driveway and back a few times while waiting for proper lines to show up? It would be much easier than pushing it up the driveway :?

- Justin

84HOtransam
05-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Update: Mom doesn't care what is broken, the car must leave the driveway tomorrow.

I have been told that the car will be "driveable" if the front brakes are bled and the master cylinder is kept full. The line in question only leaks when pressure is applied. Think this would be safe just to go from the street to the driveway and back a few times while waiting for proper lines to show up? It would be much easier than pushing it up the driveway :?

- Justin

yea you will just have a mushy pedel and fluid leaking when you hit the pedal

JerzLT1
06-01-2005, 07:37 AM
nah youll be completly fine actually considering i drove from freehold to hammonton with no rear brakes cauase i didnt know. the fluid is seperated in the master, front and rear i believe, it can spill over but youll be fine

foff667
06-01-2005, 08:53 AM
nah youll be completly fine actually considering i drove from freehold to hammonton with no rear brakes cauase i didnt know. the fluid is seperated in the master, front and rear i believe, it can spill over but youll be fine

haha i hope your joking...lets not turn this thread into the one on thirdgen where the guy asked if he can just remove his rear brakes :lol:

Tru2Chevy
06-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Car is out in the street, and will prolly stay there till the brake line kit arrives. Since I have the extra money I ordered a seven piece stainless steel brake line kit. Since I already found two leaky lines, who knows when the others will go. Better safe than sorry.....

- Justin

Fasterthanyou
06-02-2005, 01:20 AM

haha i hope your joking...lets not turn this thread into the one on thirdgen where the guy asked if he can just remove his rear brakes :lol:
Well top fuel and lawn mowers don't need front brakes :P .