PDA

View Full Version : No dash lights...radio twitches....

PDubs87Z28
05-31-2005, 04:44 PM
So in march i put new carpet in the Camaro.....i took everything out and put it back together the same way i took it out....first the console light wasn't working...changed the bulb and nothing then my radio turns on and off sometimes....don't know about that either......THEN i was driving and the dash lights and the light at the climate control are out as well....
i never f-ed with any wires or anything.....why is ***** zapping out on me???

89 Trans Am WS6
06-01-2005, 08:15 PM
How was it all secured? Did you have to remove screws,pins, and kind of anchors when you installed the carpet? Quite possibly something could have rubbed through the insulation on a wire(s) and the wire could be intermitently shorting against it or something else thats a ground now that its exposed. Check your fuses tho..theres a good chance that if that was the case, the fuse would pop.

enRo
06-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Well, an easy way to check if its a short or just a fuse... the dash lights are fused with your night time taillights, so if one goes out they both go out. I'd say it's a fuse. Thats just me tho ;-)

V
06-02-2005, 12:40 PM
sounds like a bad ground, even though you say you didnt remove any bolts or wires when installing the carpet, you may have bent it enough to weaken it and there could only be a few wire strands left at the connection. what i would recommend is to find the negative wire for the climate control lights, and trace it as far as you can, if it goes into the harness, just plice into the ground wire, and attach it to a solid chassis ground. with that done, if the problem persists, you know its not a ground issue. if it goes away, it may just go away on the climate controls. and if so, then youd need to redo more ground. the same can apply to the radio, id pull it out and attach a better ground and see if it continues. the radio has 3 wires that could affect it going on and off. power(batt constant) IGN(keyed on) and ground. while on, the radio can usually only be affected by loss of connection at the ground or keyed power. the batt constant mainly serves as memory when the car is off, but sometimes could affect the radio when on(some model radios) thats just what i could think of off the top of my head. other than that, it could be in the illumination wiring, that can be tested at the headlight switch and may be a problem in there as well. but start with the grounds and work your way from there.

PDubs87Z28
06-02-2005, 03:34 PM
all fuses are ok .....i made sure that i didn't touch wires for this reason, im ganna dig through behind the radio to see if anything is loose. last week was the last time i drove it and when i was driving the radio zapped out and came back on real quick...before it has zapped out and stayed out but then came back on, all on its own.