PDA

View Full Version : bent bracket on frame...4th gen

LS1Hawk
06-25-2005, 11:06 PM
I just spotted this today on my car. Underneath the car right behind the driver side's front wheel and before the notch where you put the jack to jack up the car there's two brackets that are bolted together with two bolts. The bracket(s) should hang straight down, but instead it's bent completely flat against the bottom of the car. I'm assuming that the only way this could have happened was when the car was once put up on a lift incorrectly and the weight of the car bent the bracket in. I'm the third owner of the car and I haven't had it on a lift so it must have been like that before I bought it. I guess my question is what I should do about it. Should I just leave it alone? Or is this something that can be fixed? I'm not sure about trying to bend it back, because part of it is plastic and it looks like it's cracked, and I would think bending it back would just weaken it more. I've also been thinking about getting subframe connectors, but if that's a bracket they bolt onto then I won't be able to put them on if it's bent like that.

NP_00'T/A
06-26-2005, 10:48 PM
mine is like that too... i don't think it is really hurting anything

Savage_Messiah
06-27-2005, 02:01 AM
Bent inwards or out? If it's bent out then you will prolly have a gap and the fender right above that won't be flush with the door... like my passenger side... if it's bent in tho and the fender is flush, I'd say leave it be

LS1Hawk
06-27-2005, 05:34 AM
Bent inwards or out? If it's bent out then you will prolly have a gap and the fender right above that won't be flush with the door... like my passenger side... if it's bent in tho and the fender is flush, I'd say leave it be

It's bent out towards the fender. That is interesting, because when I bought the car, the fender wasn't flush with the door and I had it pushed back in and it's been fine.

foff667
07-12-2005, 07:13 PM
yah i bent mine while putting it up on ramps(big converter, big cam, no tuning dont go together when trying to go up ramps) went over them and bang...not much you can do that i know of, just means you'll have a small gap.

LS1Hawk
07-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Yeah, seems that way. I thought of bending it back, but it'll probably just get bent again next time it's put up on a lift.

V
07-16-2005, 01:17 PM
you can bend it back, if i remember correctly thats where the bottom of the fender mounts, so to align the fender anytime youd need that straight up and down. also that is not the lift point, hence the reason it bends always. When i lift my SS or iroc, i lift off the front subframe section, much stronger and not prone to bender like the pinch rail where most people jack it up from.