PDA

View Full Version : Striaght-Pipe = Tune?

ar0ck
06-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Im putting a straight pipe in place of my catalytic converter soon. Is this going to have any effect on my car? Its a 1995 Z28 OBDI w/ Single Cat Y-pipe.

Just wanted to make sure before I have it all welded up that it will run fine.

12secondv6
06-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Why remove it and make the car completely illegal?
Get a catco high flow cat ($42) from www.summitracing.com.

I run catco 3 inch high flow cat.

NJSPEEDER
06-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Why remove it and make the car completely illegal?
Get a catco high flow cat ($42) from www.summitracing.com.

get a bullet muffler to put in it's place to keep it from being loud enough to get you pulled over. bullet mufflers are only like $35 too :)
cats suck ass and rob power.

later
tim

NJSPEEDER
06-27-2005, 10:11 PM

you are one to talk about legal, you don't even have windshield wipers or impact beams. both are federally mandated, so why woudl you give a flying turd about a cat? are you afraid you may actually keep up with little g n/a if you removed it? lol :P

later
tim

ar0ck
06-27-2005, 10:30 PM
FYI I have a stock cat that Im covering the test-pipe with. So It will pass a visual. And the edges will have flanges to make it easy to swap.

NJSPEEDER
06-28-2005, 12:25 AM
FYI I have a stock cat that Im covering the test-pipe with. So It will pass a visual. And the edges will have flanges to make it easy to swap.

use a bullet to make the fake cat. it is the noise that brings on the visual inspection to begin with. a straight through muffler like a bullet won't cost you any flow and it will help you avoid getting harrassed by "the man"

later
tim

Savage_Messiah
07-09-2005, 01:41 AM
you are one to talk about legal, you don't even have windshield wipers or impact beams. both are federally mandated,

In his defense the beams exist... well the front one is on my car and I dunno where the rear is. :lol:

Are honeycombs federally mandated too?...

foff667
07-21-2005, 09:47 AM
oh just to give you an actual answer to your question is it should run fine but you wont pass the sniffer.

bad64chevelle
07-21-2005, 12:02 PM
I am not using a test pipe in my gutted cat, and i think i may be getting some problems from it, however cant be sure. No matter what once i get back from NC I need a tune real bad. I will also be placing a pipe through it. Later
Jon

foff667
07-21-2005, 12:17 PM
I am not using a test pipe in my gutted cat, and i think i may be getting some problems from it, however cant be sure. No matter what once i get back from NC I need a tune real bad. I will also be placing a pipe through it. Later
Jon

how could you/would you be getting problems directly related it getting rid of your cat? There are no sensors in place in obd1 cars to even know its missing.

bad64chevelle
07-22-2005, 07:27 AM
i dont know thats why im saying i dont know if its directly from that, but this car is running like crap, and began right after i gutted the cat. I know there are no sensors that can mess with it, and whatnot but just simply stating that just after i gutted the cat, some of my problems began.Later

Jon

foff667
07-22-2005, 08:04 AM
i dont know thats why im saying i dont know if its directly from that, but this car is running like crap, and began right after i gutted the cat. I know there are no sensors that can mess with it, and whatnot but just simply stating that just after i gutted the cat, some of my problems began.Later

Jon

are you sure its completely gutted? Im sure if theres something restricting exhaust flow that will make the car run pretty crappy thats why most recommend a bullet or strait pipe made to look like a cat.

bad64chevelle
07-22-2005, 07:54 PM
nah, i got everything out of there when i cut the cat off the y pipe and went to work on it. Im gonna straight pipe it when i install the headers and new y-pipe in a week or two.