PDA

View Full Version : Weatherstripping Questions (Long, please help)

enRo
06-30-2005, 06:10 PM
I yanked off the ttop weatherstripping today and what a PITA that was! Now I have a few questions if any of you are experienced with replacement.

#1. I took off the center molding piece (well not technically "took off" more like "pryed off with a chizzel, hammer, and a tire iron :lol: ) and came across 4 unbelievably rusted, distorted, and mangled screws that are located UNDER the center piece. Two are in the front section and two are in the back. Does anybody know what these were for? It looks like it coulda been a temporary thing before the actual T-top bar was spot-welded. I managed to remove only one, but the rest will need a titanium drill bit. THIS is what was causing most of my leaks.

#2. This question is hard to describe. Theres a piece that runs side to side along side the quarter panel that holds in the weather stripping. On both sides at the end right where it meets the piece that the T-tops lock into, theres a ****load of tar. I managed to scrape the tar off but under it looks like a hole that was filled with pink bubble gum (no joke). It might be some kinda filler but it sure as hell smells like old crusty Big League Chew :-D . How should I tackle this issue? Just scrape the gum off and fill with body filler or just leave it alone and cover it back up with tar?

#3. Those "paper plugs" that are held in by tar are another reason why my t-tops were leaking. It covers one of the few quarter size holes that are located on the ttop bar. It was punctured and covered in dry rust THUS a leaky backseat area. Do these come with the basic weatherstripping kit I ordered? If not where can I get my hands on them. Or a better alternative, can I cover these holes up with sheet metal and a welding gun?

#4. Once I prep the area, fetch the supplies, and get the weatherstripping kit, would any experienced persons wanna give me a hand installing them? I would greatly appreciate it. Ill give some money or something, but food and non alcoholic beverages will be supplied as in Steak-Ums or Pizza with some soda.

Thanks
-Noah

enRo
06-30-2005, 08:35 PM
I found the answer to #1. It appears it was 4 more screws to keep the center molding in place. I guess that explains all the rust on it in the first place!

Anybody willing to help? Free food :)

HardcoreZ28
07-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Those screws hold the t-bar down. That thing is not welded on! I hope you didn't bend the crap out of yours or it will never seal right now. Clean it up and take a look at it. Be sure to use weatherstrip adhesive liberally under it but not so much that is oozes out.

Untamed
07-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Keep digging, you might find Jimmy Hoffa.

An extra pair of hands could help, however laying it down just needs plenty of time and plenty of patience. TGO has a good article on weather stripping.

Unfortunately I won't be available to help anyone until July 31 (after I ship the wife and kids out to grandmas house for two weeks).

enRo
07-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Those screws hold the t-bar down. That thing is not welded on! I hope you didn't bend the crap out of yours or it will never seal right now. Clean it up and take a look at it. Be sure to use weatherstrip adhesive liberally under it but not so much that is oozes out.

The reason I pryed it off, is cuz I have a spare that has absolutely no rust. I just gotta drill out those screws now. I cant even get them off with vice grips!

PDubs87Z28
07-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Any where metal is shot and there is a hole DO NOT fill it with just bondo...cut and weld in new metal then fill imprefections.... if theres any serious rust but its not rusted through i'd recommend picking up some POR-15 treat the rust and use that. I'd also recommend this stuff called masterseries http://www.masterseriesct.com/ That you can put that on rust or straight metal....POR-15 is only good on rust