PDA

View Full Version : new paint

jola
07-05-2005, 05:24 PM
first i'd like to say hi. i'm new to this forum, and to firebirds for that matter. i just bought a 95 3.4L bird. it needs a new paint job though. its dark green. the clear coat is coming off in a few places on different panels. i took it to maaco for an estimate, and they told me 1300 for there second best paint job (it has an intergrated clear coat so its still a one stage paint job) and all the prep work (stripping the hood and sanding the driver side door and passenger side front fender) and popping out a small dent in the driver side rear quarter panel. i'm not sure if that's really a good price or not (i'm painting it the same color) and i don't really believe the guy at maaco when he tells me all the prep work they will do. i've heard so many stories about maaco doing sucky prep work and about them using bad paint on the rubberized plastic of the bumbers. has anybody ever gone to the maaco in perth amboy (convery blvd.)? i really just want a decent paint job, nothing spectacular. can anybody recommend a shop that can give me good prep work and a good paint job for a fair price? thanks and sorry that was so long.

Tru2Chevy
07-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the club!

Places like Maaco save money by not putting any real effort into prep work (not to mention the single-stage paint). I would avoid single stage at all costs if this is car that you want to keep around. There are several members here that either work in paint and body shops or know someone who does. I'm sure you can find one close to you that will do far better than Maaco for a reasonable price.

- Justin

maroman88
07-06-2005, 12:11 AM
i went to macco to get my plastic front repainted....yea one lil chip turned into the whole front chipping off and a trip to my usual body shop

jola
07-06-2005, 04:30 PM
awesome, that's pretty much why i don't want to go to maaco. would anybody like to give me the names of some of those body shops in central jersey that would treat my firebird nicely and not leave me broke?

Ian
07-06-2005, 05:31 PM
EVIL90SS works at a body shop. Try shooting him a PM.

P.S. his name is Matt

bokey
07-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Gary Betsey. For $1500, he popped out my dents, fixed my air dam, and did one coat base, once coate clear. Looks orgasmic...except I'm a jackass and ****ed up my front end. If you want to save some bread, do the prep your self. I think thats the road that I'm going to go down this summer...

*I did end up paying $3500 in the end. I needed a new hood because mine was bent. Previous owner was in an accident with it. I also got the hinge replaced on the driver side door (have to weld mine in :roll: ). So all and all, it wasn't bad.

**EDIT: He is by RT 156, RT 130 (in Hamilton Square, 08690)