PDA

View Full Version : Master Cylinder/Proportioning valve cleaning....

Tru2Chevy
07-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks to help from Pampered-Z, I got the last of the new brake lines installed last night. :D

Before I add fluid and bleed the system I want to clean the master and the proportioning valve, since the fluid that was in the system was black and chunky.

Has anyone done this before? What is the best way? I was thinking of just spraying the inside of the master with brake cleaner and wiping all the crud out of there, and then unhooking the lines from the proportioning valve and adding some fluid to the master. Then pump the brake a few times to get most of that fluid out and into a bucket.

Sound good?

- Justin

9secfirebird
07-13-2005, 12:16 PM
spray the **** out of it with brake clean, put the straw on the nozzle and spray it right in the hole till it comes out clear.

Fasterthanyou
07-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Brake clean and btw, it's a combination valve, not just a prop valve :P . It's for the drum brakes and a delay circuit to push the drum shoes out (over power the springs) to give you equal braking at the cost of pedal travel :( .
Get some old gasoline and a slosh bucket. Place gas and parts in, slosh, repeat, let sit, repeat after a few minutes and rince... works every time.

9secfirebird
07-22-2005, 10:09 PM
sounds like someone studied for A5 :)

Ian
07-22-2005, 10:28 PM

There was a question on my A5 test about cleaning parts with gas. :lol:

Fasterthanyou
07-23-2005, 12:01 AM
What? :?

9secfirebird
07-23-2005, 05:50 AM
what you said...was a Text Book question from the ASE A5 (brakes) test

Fasterthanyou
07-23-2005, 05:28 PM
what you said...was a Text Book question from the ASE A5 (brakes) test :lol: I've never picked up a text book for ASE! I'm the other side of things. The SAE side :wink:

Tru2Chevy
07-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks, I just said screw it and I'm tossing a new master on there. For the price, and considering the condition of everything else that was on the car, it should be worth it.

- Justin

Ian
07-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks, I just said screw it and I'm tossing a new master on there. For the price, and considering the condition of everything else that was on the car, it should be worth it.

- Justin

Yeah, brakes aren't something you want to cheap out on.