PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Transmission Flush

jola
07-20-2005, 03:16 PM
ok, here's my deal. i'm not sure when the last time the transmission fluid was changed in my car. i've had it for about a month, and it has 120,000 miles on it. the color of the fluid is brown with a very faint reddish tint. i took the car to jiffy lube, but they said they won't change it because it could damage the car. now, i want to do a full flush, but i hear that if you put good fluid into a transmission with fluid that hasn't been changed in a long time, it could ruin the clutches and seals. is this true? how do i know if the fluid is too old to be flushed without killing my transmission?

camaro2you
07-20-2005, 04:00 PM
you might want to try to take some out put some in, take some out put some in kinda thing for a month then just get it flushed. But im not shure if that will work because i never really mess with transmissions.

Tru2Chevy
07-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Most people say that you can drop the pan to put in a new filter, and then just top it off with fresh fluid. That should drain about 1/2 of your current fluid, and not cause much of a problem.

Bottom line is, if the fluid is already burnt, start saving for a new trans....

- Justin

jola
07-21-2005, 04:50 PM
iight, i think i might try this whole filter change w/o flushing all the fluid deal. whatever will keep my car running the healthiest the longest. is changing the filter a very involved project?

Tru2Chevy
07-22-2005, 09:46 AM
iight, i think i might try this whole filter change w/o flushing all the fluid deal. whatever will keep my car running the healthiest the longest. is changing the filter a very involved project?

Nope, once you drop the pan the filter is right there, yank it out, slap in a new one, and you'll be all set.

- Justin