PDA

View Full Version : Tranny mount replacement

Tsar
07-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey you've all prolly delt with it before, but take it easy on the newb, will ya?
So how hard is it to replace one of those on '96 TA? maybe any has some pictures that can help me out? or any advice, anything will be appreciated!!!

Thanks

ar0ck
07-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Ive always heard good things about the Energy Suspension Polyeurethane bushings, their cheap and easy to replace as well. Thats what Im going with.

LT!freak94
07-26-2005, 12:14 AM
thats what i have on my car now and i havent had a problem at all go for it

Pampered-Z
07-26-2005, 07:37 AM
Change is easy. unbolt the mount from trans cross member (1 bolt), jack tranny up about 1/2 inch. Unbolt the cross member ( 4 bolts), remove mount from trans (2 bolts). Install new mount, reassmble and make sure the trans is in the original position ( right to left ). Just line it up where the mark from the old washer is on the trans cross member.

As far as the mount goes, the Poly mounts are allot stiffer then stock and can add more noise and vibration when shifting ( if you care about that). If your car is mostly for the street you might want to look at the GM 1LE mount. It is stronger then stock, but not as stiff as the poly mount.

JB

Savage_Messiah
07-26-2005, 08:51 AM
yea but good luck finding a 1LE mount.

I'm putting on my energy susp. poly mount later today

foff667
07-26-2005, 09:41 AM
i had poly's on my last two fbodies & didnt experience much of any added vibration, like pampered said install is very easy & straitfoward but two sets of hands under there would be great if you have to do it yourself its not that bad. I'd go poly...you can pick them up at any autozone fwiw.

karr95
07-26-2005, 09:47 AM
I have the Prothane one from www.spohn.net

It does make the car a little rougher but my trans shifts so much better now. Are you running any other suspension mods? On my car, I am running the spohn torque arm and the ES trans mount changed my pinion angle a little bit and was causing the torque arm to hit the body on medium to large size bumps. The prothane mount doesn't change the angle and I haven't had any problems.

LT!freak94
07-26-2005, 11:01 AM
the one from energy suspension is like 30 dollers shiped off www.lmperformance.com and i got it like 2 days later it was easy even for a fat kid to do it me lol but yeah madd easy

Tsar
07-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Alrigh thanks guys, i got it done. it was easy like you said, i just wasnt sure so i figured id ask you before i go there and rip stuff out :lol:
I think the hardest part was finding a comfy spot underneath the car, but its all good now. And to answer someones questions if my car had any mods: Nope its all stock now, ill get to modding as soon as i save up some cash 8) Thanks for the help guys

Savage_Messiah
07-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Did mine today. Added vibrations??? NONE. a tad at liek 85 mph. just make sure you got everything lined up right and make everything tight.

LT!freak94
07-27-2005, 12:13 PM
yeah i got vibrations at like 80 - 95 then it goes away