PDA

View Full Version : PPG paint issue

Fasterthanyou
07-28-2005, 05:47 PM
So get this, GM's paint code for my 91 camaro is 81U (WA 8774) which is bright red but PPG has 2 of their own codes, 4356 and 73124. Which do I order? I'm about ready to paint the engine bay and start putting things back in but I need to get the materials first. This is hanging me up right now so any info would be greatly appreciated. Garrett if you're reading this I could use your help.
I'm also considering painting it a different color. Where does one go to find shades of red? PPG's website is great... if you can manage to stumble apon the correct page. I haven't been so lucky.
Reasons for different colors; Cops like bright red, change is good, and non-metalic red is expensive.

Fasterthanyou
07-31-2005, 08:56 PM
nobody can help? I called up PPG's reps and 2 local body shops. Neither could tell me the difference so maybe there isn't any... but why the 2 differet numbers?

PDubs87Z28
07-31-2005, 09:25 PM
Try Glasserit. (spelling may be off) thats what we threw on my car as that base and used their clear as well(can't re-call codes on it).....what we did with the bumpers was use single stage (clear/paint mixw/ flex of coarse) matches up perfectly to the base/clear. I could ask my dad about the place he gets paint from and see if i can get the distributors name, BUT i think they're in Jersey City. and i won't see him till tuesday. Black is too big of a bitch to keep clean i wanted to do a nice blue but i didn't want the hassle of color change se we ran with the black.

I have to get the rear bumper done again because when i got re-ended it cracked....the front has to be done too because my jack ass friend drove 15 feet in reverse into it. Bruce (tastyle88) saw my car in dirty ass condition and though it looked good. it might not be fast(or on the road) but that mother****er will shine with ease.
Now the silver on my car.....thats a mitsubitshi silver code(my dad had extra around the shop)

camaro2you
08-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Try Glasserit. (spelling may be off) thats what we threw on my car as that base and used their clear as well(can't re-call codes on it).....what we did with the bumpers was use single stage (clear/paint mixw/ flex of coarse) matches up perfectly to the base/clear. I could ask my dad about the place he gets paint from and see if i can get the distributors name, BUT i think they're in Jersey City. and i won't see him till tuesday. Black is too big of a bitch to keep clean i wanted to do a nice blue but i didn't want the hassle of color change se we ran with the black.

I have to get the rear bumper done again because when i got re-ended it cracked....the front has to be done too because my jack ass friend drove 15 feet in reverse into it. Bruce (tastyle88) saw my car in dirty ass condition and though it looked good. it might not be fast(or on the road) but that mother****er will shine with ease.
Now the silver on my car.....thats a mitsubitshi silver code(my dad had extra around the shop)

How much did it cost you to have it all done?

Tru2Chevy
08-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Garrett if you're reading this I could use your help.

Garretwp@comcast.net

That's the best way to get in touch with him....

- Justin

PDubs87Z28
08-02-2005, 03:51 PM

How much did it cost you to have it all done?
Silver paint was free :lol: My father painted the rear 1/4s and roof in my garage...everything else was panel off painted. Paint ran my shy of $1000 (ballpark of 900 or so) i can't really remember but he got everything through his job so thats why it was that much..... when i got rearended i got $700 for the damage :lol: so i made most of my money back then my friend paid me $400 for the damage to the front end. My father does not want to paint it so that money is going to a body shop to fix it

garretwp
08-03-2005, 07:01 AM
Each paint company has there own paint codes that match up to the cars paint code. I.E. 81U would be a valid code that any paint supply place would be able to go buy and find a match for paint. Now being that the color is red, paint is going to be more costly. Red pigment is harder to manufacture then any other color. Red is also the fastest colors that will fade faster as well. I will call up my old work and get you some pricing on paint. I would assume you would want base coat/ clear coat? Also BASF's Glasurit paint line is there top paint. This paint is manufactured in germany. Only problem is that this paint is also expensive. Another line that BASF offers is called Diamont. This is the same formula that Glasurit is but manufactured here in the states. The difference other then being made in two different countries is that the material in Glasurit is of better qaulity hence the higher price! But Diamont is a really great paint and if you were to get it painted by a certified BASF body shop, they offer a lifetime warranty on both Glasurit and Diamont. Ill get you pricing for the Diamont. What I am worried is that if that red is a three stage color. This will cost much more and is harder to paint.

Garrett

Tru2Chevy
08-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Garrett - you need to update your avatar since the subie is gone....

- Justin

garretwp
08-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Yes I know, that tells ya how long since I have been on here.

PDubs87Z28
08-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Also BASF's Glasurit paint line is there top paint. This paint is manufactured in germany. Only problem is that this paint is also expensive. Another line that BASF offers is called Diamont. This is the same formula that Glasurit is but manufactured here in the states. The difference other then being made in two different countries is that the material in Glasurit is of better qaulity hence the higher price!
And thats why i paid that much even with a discount....oh well the car looks great so im not beat. Go for glasurit!

Fasterthanyou
08-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Get me pricing to do the whole car (engine bay too) for both. Is there a noticable difference in the quality with age? Also, I didn't know red was all that expensive. From PPG's website it didn't appear any more expensive, infact all of their paints were like $228 a gallon, a few were cheaper like $178 but most weren't.
Also, how would I find out if the paint is a 3 stage color? That doesn't sound like something GM would do. They tend to clip corners everywhere they can, including on paint.
I've got a good budget saved up for this paint job now that it's been taking me longer than planned. What's recommended for coats/clear? Not necessarily show car finish but I want no orange peal and high shine... is that too much to ask? 2 coats base, 3 coats clear?

PDubs87Z28
08-03-2005, 06:59 PM
i still have to do my engine bay and door jams. The engine bay will be getting done before my motor swap and yes you will see a difference even with red because its fades.

Are you doing this yourself or is it going to a shop? Because if you got the spot to do it yourself or if a friend does it, you'd want to take the doors and the hatch as well....you'll get beautiful results. Good luck man