PDA

View Full Version : Good Replacement Clutch

ar0ck
08-11-2005, 09:20 PM
100,000 thousand miles on my original clutch has finally taken a slight toll. I can defenitly feel it slipping very litte as Im engaging 1st.

What is a good aftermarket replacement clutch?

I dont want anything crazy or expensive. Right now the car is fairly stock, but eventually some day down the road I want to put about Aprox~400/400 to the wheels. Whats available to me that I can "grow" into?

Ive only driven another 95 Z that had a Mcloud Twin-Disc, and It was pretty dam smooth feeling compared to stock.

PDubs87Z28
08-11-2005, 09:35 PM
are you going with performance or just stock replacement....i use to stock LUK clutches at my old job in the auto parts warehouse way back when....but thats OEM.

The Fixer
08-11-2005, 11:19 PM
I'm happy with the budget-friendly RAM clutch that's in my Monte, but it only has 2K miles at most on it. Who knows how it'll be in 20K? It should be fine, I don't beat on it ~that~ much. :)

Also, a friend of mine has a Centerforce in his T56-equipped Monte. The pedal feel is great, even with his mechanical linkage. Grabs very well. They're pricey, but worth the $$.

Little G
08-12-2005, 06:46 AM
The pic in your sig wouldn't have anything to do with that "slight toll" would it? I'm thinking Spec stage 5 would handle it.

g

foff667
08-12-2005, 09:03 AM
The pic in your sig wouldn't have anything to do with that "slight toll" would it? Â*I'm thinking Spec stage 5 would handle it.

g

:funny:

ar0ck
08-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Sorry craig, it may or may not be due to the picture, but I dont think it was in its (the clutch) cards to be 100% original and in perfect shape after 100,000 miles.

So any good suggestions?

Im sure someone out here has replaced their clutch.

Should I get a complete kit that comes with a new fly-wheel as well?

camaroAL
08-15-2005, 11:53 AM
the best bang for the buck is a centerforce dual friction clutch,no need for a flywheel just bring it to a local tranz shop and have it cut, remember to get the clutch kit with the pressure plate, throw out and pilot bearing

jrsfast84
08-15-2005, 03:38 PM
what CamaroAl just said, is a good idea, great parts for the money, i have a friend that has a 92'- z-28 with a supercharger on it,under a 400hp.motor and it grabs nasty fast. trust me. JR1

Tru2Chevy
08-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Craig has the dual-friction too, and it has survived daily driving plus over 100 passes (mostly from 4500+ RPM).

- Justin

Pampered-Z
08-16-2005, 03:17 PM
I ran the dual friction McLoed (with a SLP light weight flywheel) in my old set-up, which was around 375HP at the crank. I put 45K on it and probably 50 passes at the track all using nitto drag radials. It was just starting to slip when doing hot laps when I pulled the drive train for the upgrade.

V
08-16-2005, 03:37 PM
i have the spec stage 3, 53k miles on it now and its acting a little funny, but not slipping yet. a lotta people bash spec but i dunno, it worked out fine for me. they got decent prices, but to each their own if they dont like one company or another.

Fastbird
08-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Do NOT get a Spec Clutch for a LT1 car. Nothing but trouble. We just had my buddies 6K mile old Spec Stage 3 replaced because two spring retainers had snapped and the springs were bouncing around the bell housing and chewed up a bunch of pucks. Not to mention the chatter. OH MY LORD the chatter.

For a clutch that you can grow in to, look at the McLeod Single Disc setup. It's relatively inexpensive, extremely reliable, smooth, nice light pedal pressure, and holds up really well too.

I put about 120 dragstrip passes and about 25K miles on it before I made it slip, but this was in about 2 years time also. I was being pretty vicious with it though. This was on a stock flywheel also.

The McLeod Street Twin is an outstanding clutch, but the price ($900+) coupled with the fact that you WILL destroy everything behind it if it's not already been bulletproofed and the fact that you'll need slicks for the track to cut any decent short time factors it out for a lot of people.

deadtrend1
08-18-2005, 04:15 PM
here you guys go
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tstrella/temp/t56servicemanual.pdf

deadtrend1
08-18-2005, 08:51 PM
DAMNIT .. i ment to put this in the friggin t56 rebuild thread. Tim, justin .. move this when you get a chance please