PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up headlights

v6firebird
08-16-2005, 10:14 AM
How can I make my headlights not pop-up when I turn on my running lights?

Untamed
08-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Are they already up when you de-select the lights? Or are you pushing the running lights button and the headlights are still popping up?

v6firebird
08-16-2005, 10:25 AM
Well the 1994 has a knob. When you turn the knob the running lights turn on and the pop-ups come up. Looking for a way to activate the headlight motor with just the headlight function and not the running lights.

Squirrel
08-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Well the 1994 has a knob. When you turn the knob the running lights turn on and the pop-ups come up. Looking for a way to activate the headlight motor with just the headlight function and not the running lights.
i have the same problem.....do your headlights grind?

v6firebird
08-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Yea, but im loooking into the brass parts that just came out for the motor because the original ones are plastic.

GrandmasterCow
08-16-2005, 03:24 PM
once you replace your gears with the brass ones that should eliminate the headlgihts poping up when you turn on your running lights/fogs.

Tru2Chevy
08-16-2005, 03:34 PM
once you replace your gears with the brass ones that should eliminate the headlgihts poping up when you turn on your running lights/fogs.

Not that I don't believe you, but do you know why the gears affect that?

- Justin

v6firebird
08-16-2005, 03:59 PM
No it has notthing to do with the mechanical but i think it has to do with its eclectircal system

v6firebird
08-16-2005, 04:10 PM
On my car the pop-ups come up I really dont know how T/A's work

GrandmasterCow
08-16-2005, 05:50 PM

Not that I don't believe you, but do you know why the gears affect that?

- Justin

not sure how or why, but it's what i heard. sometimes mine pop up when i turn on the fogs only, sometimes doesnt. but i'm going to replace the gears and find out for sure.

89 Trans Am WS6
08-17-2005, 10:46 PM
On the 4th gen TAs..the early ones anyway..if you have a stripped headlight gear..causing the grinding/running noise your headlights will come up, but not turn on when your switch is in the parking light selection. turning the switch one more notch will turn on the already up lights.

this is weird and i havnt cared enough to look into why it happens..it just does..

If you have one side that grinds, or even both(although i know it works with one side grinding) try this. Turn the lights off. unplug the grinding motor. Turn the parking lights on. The other light will still raise. Not shut the lights off, and turn them to park again. Pewf! Only the parking lights will come on. You can now re-plug in your grinding motor and the parking lights will still only come on when the switch is in that position. However, once you use your headlights, the whole thing will reset and the headlights will come up with the parking lights again.

The perm fix? Rebuild or replace the motor.

Joe

coldkilla
08-18-2005, 12:01 AM
i have no grinding noises and my headlights work perfectly, its seems that early 4th gens just do this. turn the switch once to turn on the running lights and the lights come up, turn it again and the lights turn on.

j0n
08-18-2005, 10:46 AM
ok im confused...when i turn my knob to the first click the parking lights come on but the headlights stay down...when i go one more click the headlights come up and on

Squirrel
08-18-2005, 11:46 AM
ok im confused...when i turn my knob to the first click the parking lights come on but the headlights stay down...when i go one more click the headlights come up and on
yeah thats how its supposed to work, but if you have grinding motors it will work the other way

coldkilla
08-18-2005, 01:50 PM
well that cant be all that correct either if mine come up on the first click WITHOUT GRINDING. like i said mine work fine, maybe my car just does its own thing.

Savage_Messiah
08-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Mine never come up... :shrug: :lol:

enRo
08-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Mine never come up... :shrug: :lol:

Join the club! :lol:

coldkilla
08-18-2005, 02:02 PM
yeah something seems to be wrong with a lot of camaros or the owners, quite a few of em cant seem to get it up.

shazaam!

Tru2Chevy
08-18-2005, 06:19 PM
well that cant be all that correct either if mine come up on the first click WITHOUT GRINDING. like i said mine work fine, maybe my car just does its own thing.

Sounds to me like it's one of those oddball '93 things.....

- Justin

enRo
08-18-2005, 07:13 PM
yeah something seems to be wrong with a lot of camaros or the owners, quite a few of em cant seem to get it up.

shazaam!

That joke is older than David Hasselhoff's afro...

Shazaam!

coldkilla
08-19-2005, 12:46 AM
ah but just like hasselhoff is still sporting the afro, im still slinging the stupid jokes

Squirrel
08-19-2005, 11:46 AM
they only grind when they go down because they cant feel the gear to tell the motor to stop spinning

89 Trans Am WS6
08-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Squirrel you try what i said up their?

Yeah its not supposed to happen J0n, your car does it right. Mine does it like its supposed to (like yours) if i fix the motor.

If your headlight gears are fine, check your headlight control module.

I think its mounted on or under tehfactory air box..not sure though since when I bought this car it already had the CAI and the HCM was under it.

It looks like a identical part from a third gen HCM and it will plug in, but it wont work, just in case you wanted to try :wink:

Squirrel
08-21-2005, 09:18 PM
yeah, thats what i do around the dusk when i wanna rock just the fogs...i unplug them and kick on the fogs...and then when i want some light plug em back in and wa-la

Tru2Chevy
08-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Eric, didn't you try Randy's HCM back in the day to see if that was the problem?

- Justin

Squirrel
08-22-2005, 10:11 AM
yeah, but it still grinded

Tru2Chevy
08-22-2005, 10:38 AM
yeah, but it still grinded

Ok....did you check to see if the headlights still came up with the fogs?

I know the grinding is just because of the gears....

- Justin

deadtrend1
10-06-2005, 03:24 PM
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/

89 Trans Am WS6
10-09-2005, 07:38 AM
ive done the fix to mine but it broke again..not the gears fault..i guess i didnt use a good enough epoxy to hold the motor case together and it seperated thus causing the gear to **** sideways and grind again, lol

ryanfx
10-17-2005, 11:38 AM
I believe the reason this happens is because when the gears are grinding, your car's computer still think your head lights are up, and they just time out and quit trying, so when you try to reactivate them it confuses the computer

Firebird67dude
11-02-2005, 06:29 PM
idk. I put the singnal lights on b the head lights dont come o0n. Ive never seen wat u ppl r talkinh about. But, the motor grindsx on the way up. Wat u ne4ed to do is turn the lights on disconect the grinding one. pull all the stuff off and turn the knob manually 180 degrees. this will make ur light stop grinding. took me like 10 mins to do but 4 wks later it started happening on the way up so im just gunna buy a motor.

89 Trans Am WS6
11-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Correct, that worked because only half of the gear is used to go up and down as it is..the thing is most of the time if the motor is that bad..the things we mentioned above will happen..but we did discover a way to bandaid the prob!