PDA

View Full Version : SLP fiberglass hoods?

FastFenix
08-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Just wondering if anyone had problems during the "curing" stage of the hood itself. I bought a hood from them in March, read and followed the directions (bolt hood to car for aprrox. a week or two and drive it to cure the fiberglass) took it off went to get painted, body guy calls me up the day after he sprayed it and told me it was bubbling in some areas. I guess it still wasnt cured enough. Any one else have trouble with em?

bad64chevelle
08-17-2005, 08:47 AM
I dunno, I have a fiberglass hood but it wasnt from SLP, however was built to my specs sent to me a week later, and in primer the following week. I have no problems with it.

sleeperMULLET
08-19-2005, 11:25 AM
correct me if i'm wrong but SLP was the supplier for WS6 ram air hoods and SS hoods to the factory, so if the hood is directly from SLP is damn good, probably the best you can buy. Also the SLP hoods are injected fiberglass composite material i think.

FastFenix
08-19-2005, 05:13 PM
No your right, they were the suppliers for the factory so I assumed it was the best I could get. Actually it is, this particular hood just did not cure properly and ended up falling apart in one area along with the few blistering sections. Or maybe my body guy rushed the job. Anyway SLP was kind enough to warranty it. I just had to go down to Toms River and pick it up.

ins0mnia24
08-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Hey guys i'm new but i couldnt help but jump in on this problem. I got the SLP ultra Z hood for my 2002 Z-28 except all i did was fit it drove it around for 10 days this summer then i took it off and i currently have it in a friend of mines garage. i didnt get it painted yet cuz i m im trying to find a black or black powder coated hood pin or lock system. Do you know if the shop you had paint it treated it with U.V. Lighting,Baking or any other forms of fast drying?? . because a buddy of mine that does custom paint jobs on ricer bikes tells me you are not to in anyway suppossed to do that to Fiberglass, plastic or composite car parts because it causes bubbling or can cause premature bubbling on paint surface like what your saying happen to your hood. Do you know how the shop you had paint your hood did it?? if not i would quietly pay them a visit and pretend you don't know that and just ask them and see if they say they baked it or treated it with U.V. lighting then theres your problem right there, if not sorry to hear i hope i dont have the same problem with mine.

FastFenix
08-20-2005, 09:28 AM
Ya know what ins0mnia my body guy did bake the hood. That may be why it fell apart. Damn. This body guys been in the business for around 20 yrs. I find it hard to belive that he didnt know not to bake it. Well he did most of the legwork with SLP (maybe cause he knew he f-d up) to help me get it replaced so I at least I got another one. It only took like 5 mos! Thanks for the info.

ins0mnia24
08-20-2005, 01:47 PM
well thats kool that the body shop and SLP helped you and you got a new it is definitely something people should always try to remember when it comes to painting our newer cars body and hardware. Sorry also realized i was a little to lates answering the problem to just trying to play catch up on here