PDA

View Full Version : overdrive doesn't like me

PDubs87Z28
08-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Well i think the time has come for my tranny. Wednesday night i noticed that when i accelerate that my tranny will shift prefectly fine except when it shifts into 4th. At 40 mph it will stay stuck at 1000rpms and everytime you push on the gas a little is goes bahhhh. I gotta go like 1/2-3/4 on the pedal to get it to down shift and speed up to like 50 it will go back into 4th and go bahhh and everytime i let go of the gas it, the car starts to jerk. Do you think its time for a new one???? :roll: any ideas let me know. I checked the fluid on thursday when the engine was at normal temp (200-220 or so)and it was a hair above the full mark and was a redish/pinkish color. Didn't seem brown or burnt. BUT yesterday i was driving and started smelling something like a really bad fart. :shock: My console was hot and there was alot of heat by my feet and what not...My temp gauge sits a little above the line between 100-220 while im driving. Im ****ing clueless about tranny's so anyhelp will be a big help.

NJSPEEDER
08-20-2005, 03:02 PM
bad fart/rotten egg smell is usually a dead cat. that woudl also explain a lot of the heat soak as it woudl cause the exhaust to back up a lot. that would cost you a lot of power and make it feel like the car was lugging at lower rpm.
the tranny not want to kick down may just be that the cable is misadjusted. check it out and let us know.

later
tim

enRo
08-20-2005, 03:07 PM
If its the hi-flow cat u got off Bruce, it was on my black car. It still had the new cat smell if thats what your talking about.

PDubs87Z28
08-20-2005, 04:37 PM
If its the hi-flow cat u got off Bruce, it was on my black car. It still had the new cat smell if thats what your talking about.
I didn't put that on yet. But i just put a brand new cat on my car two weeks ago before i went throught inspection.

Tim, I just went to move my car out in the parking garage at work and it sounds like the heat shield is rattling. My friend said a **** load of black smoke came out too when i started it:shock: Tomorrow after i bring the rents to the airport i'll go put it on the lift at my old job and see what the **** is the matter. This is really pissing me off because i'll fix one thing and then another will piss me off :evil: ....Its got a 6-07 sticker on it & the next time it "needs" inspection it will be 20 years old...

NJSPEEDER
08-20-2005, 04:40 PM
puff of black smoke and a loose shield. everything is pointing at your cat.

later
tim

PDubs87Z28
08-20-2005, 04:44 PM
puff of black smoke and a loose shield. everything is pointing at your cat.

later
tim
:evil: i'll let you know tomorrow what i find....i got noahs old high flo sitting in my shed waiting to be put on :lol: and it might just have to get done tomorrow

Fasterthanyou
08-20-2005, 04:59 PM
It's running rich. Replace the o2 sensor, it happens often and I just ran into the same problem (smell mostly) with my car before it got taken down last year. It was the o2 sensor going bad and the result was slightly rich. That made the cat stink and my HC was close to the inspection limit.

PDubs87Z28
08-20-2005, 05:02 PM
will do...i'll let you guys know the deal

PDubs87Z28
08-20-2005, 05:08 PM
It's running rich. Replace the o2 sensor, it happens often and I just ran into the same problem (smell mostly) with my car before it got taken down last year. It was the o2 sensor going bad and the result was slightly rich. That made the cat stink and my HC was close to the inspection limit.
also....last sunday i filled my car with shell 93 and drove around 130 miles on the highway just that day, it was a little above 3/4 tank. Then the past 3 days i noticed this and i have put 120 city miles since monday before filling up again today.

So say if i replace the O2 do u think i still need to replace the cat? Its two weeks old and i hear the heat shield rattle alittle. Let me know thanks

Fasterthanyou
08-20-2005, 07:06 PM
also....last sunday i filled my car with shell 93 and drove around 130 miles on the highway just that day, it was a little above 3/4 tank. Then the past 3 days i noticed this and i have put 120 city miles since monday before filling up again today.

So say if i replace the O2 do u think i still need to replace the cat? Its two weeks old and i hear the heat shield rattle alittle. Let me know thanks
The heat shield might not be rattling on the cat. With a 3rd gen the shield could be what's on the floor pan or the 2 touching. I've had to fight HARD with all of the cat's to get the heat shields off so I doubt the cat is 'bad'.
A new o2 sensor never hurt anybody and with todays gas prices it's hardly an expense. $20 for the sensor is like 3/4 of a tank of gas. You'll save that much in a few months just in gas savings. That is of course if the o2 is bad or going bad.
A new cat smells like rotten eggs when it's running slightly rich. Last question, is it a 3 way converter with an air pipe and do you have the air pipe hooked up and working? That makes a difference in the cat's efficiency.

PDubs87Z28
08-20-2005, 07:34 PM

The heat shield might not be rattling on the cat. With a 3rd gen the shield could be what's on the floor pan or the 2 touching. I've had to fight HARD with all of the cat's to get the heat shields off so I doubt the cat is 'bad'.
A new o2 sensor never hurt anybody and with todays gas prices it's hardly an expense. $20 for the sensor is like 3/4 of a tank of gas. You'll save that much in a few months just in gas savings. That is of course if the o2 is bad or going bad.
A new cat smells like rotten eggs when it's running slightly rich. Last question, is it a 3 way converter with an air pipe and do you have the air pipe hooked up and working? That makes a difference in the cat's efficiency.
1)Air pump siezed(been like that since i bought it 2 years ago) so no air hose hooked up(capped off from hose out of cat)
2)Got an O2 already was going to do with a tune up but i'll put it in tomorrow, Tune up has to wait. Got 8mm accel plugs/wires on(bought it like that)
3) If you want me to get a new air pump(won't bother me to do).....where the hell do i get one/and how much?
4) Numbers of emissions of the top of my head:
NOX read an 18 out of 1187 standard
HC read a 17 out of 800something standard
other ones i can't remember bc i don't have the sheet with me.
let me know what you think.

PDubs87Z28
09-02-2005, 03:29 PM
well i replaced the O2 sensor and the same **** is happening.....i really think that it might just be the trans.....any other thoughts? Im in a dead end spot right now :roll:

PDubs87Z28
09-02-2005, 05:53 PM
another thing i noticed is that it doesn't get stuck and jerk AS BAD when i let it get to 220 and the fan is running and drive....but with the air deflector under the rad, i'll drive just a little and it'll drop temp down between 100 and 220 (the line in between) This thing is pissing me off :evil: HELP!

PDubs87Z28
09-04-2005, 11:27 AM
TTT

89 Trans Am WS6
09-05-2005, 11:30 AM
You have to look at what caused the rotten egg smell..the number one culprit usually is bad gas..or gas that is not of the proper octane rating..ever see those brand new mercedes and stuff that drive past you and smell like rotten eggs because they are running regualar instead of premium?

Happens way to often.

And if the cat is completly shot..just replacing the 02 wont help, youll have to replace the cat aswell..

why did you replace it the first time..a few weeks ago, and was the problem there before the new cat?

PDubs87Z28
09-05-2005, 04:39 PM
its no longer a smell, that happened that day it was just probably the cat.....when it shifts into 4th (OD) it sticks at 1000rpms at 40 or so. When i hit the gas it bogs...after i hit it like 1/2 gas it will down shift and go then go back into OD and stick.....at 50 or so if i let of the gas the car jerks and the rpm's bounce.....its no longer a bad smell its not the O2. im wondering if any trans guys on here know if that could be a bad tranny.

I need help ASAP on this any ideas would be much appreciated and i already appreciate the other inputs too. I need to drive this car, my caprice is WAY too expensive on gas for a daily driver and the camaro doesn't do bad on gas. i can mix them up a few days here and there like i don't know just so they don't sit for a while and the Caddy is just ganna be a weekend cruiser so what ever on gas for that.

Fasterthanyou
09-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Still doesn't sound like a transmission problem. If you've got all the gears, and they're all shifting without much slip then it's probably not the trans. Heck, it's downshifting like it should at 1/2 throttle! Sounds like it's an engine tune problem. Got any codes? SES light not working? Can you get a datalog from something like winaldl?

camaro2you
09-06-2005, 05:14 AM
Still doesn't sound like a transmission problem. If you've got all the gears, and they're all shifting without much slip then it's probably not the trans. Heck, it's downshifting like it should at 1/2 throttle! Sounds like it's an engine tune problem. Got any codes? SES light not working? Can you get a datalog from something like winaldl?

I agree i think its something with the air/fuel or an exhaust blockage.

PDubs87Z28
09-06-2005, 11:51 AM
no codes, SES light doesn't pop on. It DOES work. Pops up with all the other lights when the car starts and has been a problem in the past.

I checked on TGO and i was told it could be the detent cable and thats what needs adjustment.

Now correct me if im wrong but thats the cable from the carb down to the tranny by the throttle cable? Do you think i should adjust it myself or get it done at a tranny shop or something? OR if someone on here can do it, that knows how and is close to summit, i'll throw them $$??? let me know

PDubs87Z28
09-15-2005, 06:38 PM
car is tuned. the tranny fluid is ok. new O2. Cat is somewhat new. At idle it now has a real smooth idle sounds good. The ****ing car still gets stuck in 4th gear at 40 mph at 1000 rpms.....then anything over that when you let off the gas it'll jerk back and forth on its own. Could this be a TC issue i mean i wanna throw in a new TC but is this causing the car to act so gay?the tranny might just be shot.i'm pretty sure its on its way out because it does other **** too but i don't wanna just dump a new tranny in and let it be some other homo ****. Let me know i need help ASAP.

PDubs87Z28
09-15-2005, 08:44 PM
OK check it. While my car is in DRIVE it'll make this rattle noise (SIMILAR to a heat shield) it WILL NOT rattle while in park reverse OR neutral. ALSO it'll stop rattling once i put my foot on the gas and move. i have no f-ing clue what the hell is the matter with this piece of **** ****ing car. :shrug: I need help ASAP!