PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Clicking coming from the rear

enRo
08-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Under light acceleration, my 88 WS6 has a click that gets faster upon higher RPM and on WOT it clicks really fast. Its not your normal "click" but more like a "CLAAAT CLAAAT CLAAAT" . I kinda ruled out the engine area because it doesn't do it when I'm revving in park. The Posi rear was re-sealed and filled with fluid, and the fittings around the frame were greased because it was bone dry. Thanks

-Noah

9secfirebird
08-21-2005, 09:51 PM
no description you give could make anyone jump out and say "oh i know what that is" because theres a million different things on the drivetrain that could make a fast clicking.... this is gonna be one of those things that ya gotta see to diagnose.

Batman
08-22-2005, 05:25 AM
Sounds like the rear is going, could be alot of different parts but I would suspect th Posi. Try getting some Limited Slip additive from the chevy dealer and change the fluid in the rear. Could be dirt in the posi if you are lucky. give it a good once over while the cover is off, anything broken will be VERY apparent with the cover off.

ins0mnia24
08-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Sounds like the driveshaft. does the noise get faster as you drive faster?? is your car a A4 or M6?? or it could be your Universal joint. either put your car on some ramps or put it on a lift and check all your driveline nuts and bolts to see if any of them are loose, then maybe check your rear differential fluid. on the rear housing you will see a fill/level check plug i think its a 3/8 fitting then take that out and see if the fluid in your rear is at the top of the hole or if some drips out, your rea fluid should be even or a little above the hole then some will drip out when you take the fill plug out. shine a flashlight and make sure your fluid is filled up to the hole if not then it is low, then you just go get some fluid and use syringe or funnel and fill it until it is at the bottom of your fill hole

ins0mnia24
08-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Oh yeah i forgot also trying driving your car in every gear at the same speed to see if it stops making the noise in any of the gears. thats another way to see if it is the driveshaft

bad64chevelle
08-22-2005, 09:45 AM
well, if a squeaky kinda noise starts happening, get ready for a rebuild. Thats what mine sounded like, and then it **** canned itself. Good Luck,
Later
Jon

Ian
08-22-2005, 12:30 PM
sounds like you have something stuck in your wheel or in your brakes. at least, thats the easiest place to start :lol:

enRo
08-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Well, the thing is... the entire drivetrain has 40k miles on it... i was thinking maybe the driveshaft as well. Its not a squeaky click but more of a loud clap. It only does this when I am accelerating. I only took it on the road once a month ago, and moved it around my driveway. But when I do move it around the driveway, I cant hear the clatter. Ill double check the fluids and Ill check the driveshaft as well as my project for the day. Thanks. BTW its an A4 88 WS6. I know its prolly gonna be something really stupid. :lol:

ins0mnia24
08-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Oh sorry Kane i forgot to mention if you do try your car in every gear and drive at the same speed, it will be the driveshaft if all gears make the noise.Try driving the car around the block a few times turning right and left but only slowing down a little to make the turns sometimes a defective differential will make clicking noises while your coasting during turning And also check the tranny mounts with by prying on the tranny a little to see if it moves, check to see if the dust cover on the yoke isnt rubbing on the transmission. Also make sure the driveshaft is clean. Oh sometimes they use weights on the driveshaft to balance it, though i've never actually seen it on a f-body but i have heard of it happening where a weight will fall off the driveshaft and throw it off balance. but i have never seen one on a f-body but a friend had that problem with his blazer

9secfirebird
08-22-2005, 05:43 PM
i think someone really needs to just hear it

Ian
08-22-2005, 05:46 PM
i think someone really needs to just hear it

:stupid:

enRo
08-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Just out of curiosity... could it be that both rear tires are missing 1 lug nut each? I checked the driveshaft and tranny mounts and seem to be in working order... rear was sealed and overfilled with fluid. Its kinda mysterious to me but I dont have 2 extra lugnuts to check... :-/

If I had two jackstands handy, I would videotape it accelerating with the rear off the ground... technically the car isnt registered or on my insurance yet, and I dont want to take another chance driving it.

And JR... it basically sounds like... imagine putting a credit card on a pedal bike just enough to touch the spokes... except not as fast and a little louder :-D

PDubs87Z28
08-22-2005, 08:50 PM
got to pep boys and p/u some jack stands and try it. If 4 lugs that are tight then it shouldn't make a clicking noise. I got 4 lugs on a wheel on my Caprice (broke a stem trying to take one off) been driving over a year like that.

Ian
08-22-2005, 09:35 PM
definitly not lugnut related

Firebird67dude
08-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Its def not a lug nut issue. If i could hear it i could tell um if it was the rear or not. I blew the rear in the 67 about 6 times all where from diff issues and the rear in the TA i blew up 3 weeks after i bought it cuz the gears where set to deep.

Ian
08-24-2005, 11:37 PM
It turned out to be a rock stuck in the tire. :roll: :lol:

9secfirebird
08-25-2005, 05:47 AM
drama queen haha

enRo
08-25-2005, 01:16 PM
It wasnt just any rock... it was about the size of Mt Rushmore. I guess it was pushing one part of the tire out so far it was scraping the lugs or something. But whatever, problem fixed! :-D

camaro2you
08-25-2005, 01:19 PM
It wasnt just any rock... it was about the size of Mt Rushmore. I guess it was pushing one part of the tire out so far it was scraping the lugs or something. But whatever, problem fixed! :-D

lol

PDubs87Z28
08-25-2005, 05:00 PM
You keeping the WS6?

enRo
08-25-2005, 08:12 PM
That's affirmative. I need something to toy around with on the side, especially in the winter. Full bolt-ons, a few suspension add-ons, paintjob done at home, H/C/I, and a little more weight removed and I'll be cruising :)

PDubs87Z28
08-25-2005, 08:44 PM
paintjob done at home There nothing wrong with a 'paintjob done at home' ask bruce about my car & j0n seen it too. :D

enRo
08-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Well, it wasnt the rock, cuz the noise is still there. Could it be the Flexplate?! I hope not, I really dont feel like dumping too much money into this at the moment due to insurance + payments.