PDA

View Full Version : SES light question

casketcrewchick
08-28-2005, 01:56 PM
I have an 02 simulator after my cat and I noticed that when i start my car the ses light flashes on ONCE real fast and goes out. I thought it was supposed to stay on for a few seconds but never really payed attention.

Someone said it could harm my cat (is that true)! I guess i wont be able to pass inspection at a local garage???

I have til the end of sept to get that fixed and inspected.

The car performs normally as far as i can tell and i never did anything about it since i had the exhaust and cat on which has been well over a year.

Ian
08-28-2005, 02:18 PM
you have an o2 sim after your cat? if you have a cat, why do you need an o2 sim?

Savage_Messiah
08-29-2005, 01:27 AM
a lot of highflows... mainly catco... can trigger the SES light. I dont see how a sim can hamr your cat, and also since you hav ea 98 all they do is plug in to the OBD2 post, make sure there are no codes/no ses, and thats your emissions test.

casketcrewchick
08-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Ok so If i can get it scanned to see if its throwing a code (only cause the SES light looks like it should stay on longer than it does) and it turns out there are no codes then it will pass? :)

I dont have an o2 sensor bung in my s pipe so that is why I have an 02 sim.

If I get or use a programmer for my car, can I take care of the code if there is one?

foff667
08-29-2005, 05:48 PM
could go either way...its not just codes...there are also readiness tests the computer has to go through for you to pass.

Savage_Messiah
08-31-2005, 03:51 PM
yea, how does that whole readiness test thing work?

89 Trans Am WS6
09-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Just having no codes wont pass a nJ state inspection..

Like said above you have to pass all of the readiness tests..

Easy way to tell would be have someone with a scanner hook up to the car..im not sure about all makes of scanners but i know OTC scanners check for redniess status before it even displays the codes...so that would be one way to check if the car is good to go..

A better way would be find someone that does NJ state inspections in their shop..

The state inspection machine can be hooked up to a car and just scan the computer to check if it passes the readiness tests without actually doing the inspection...so if you know someone that can do that for you, thats your best option..

Oh and if you do have someone hook up a scanner and there are no codes but for some reason they decide to hit the "clear codes" option..just "to be safe" (dont laugh ive heard it before) thats gonna make it worse because it will reset the computer and you wont pass any of the rediness tests..

foff667
09-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Just having no codes wont pass a nJ state inspection..

Like said above you have to pass all of the readiness tests..

Easy way to tell would be have someone with a scanner hook up to the car..im not sure about all makes of scanners but i know OTC scanners check for redniess status before it even displays the codes...so that would be one way to check if the car is good to go..

A better way would be find someone that does NJ state inspections in their shop..

The state inspection machine can be hooked up to a car and just scan the computer to check if it passes the readiness tests without actually doing the inspection...so if you know someone that can do that for you, thats your best option..

Oh and if you do have someone hook up a scanner and there are no codes but for some reason they decide to hit the "clear codes" option..just "to be safe" (dont laugh ive heard it before) thats gonna make it worse because it will reset the computer and you wont pass any of the rediness tests..

yup, some of the readiness tests take like 100 miles of driving before it will pass.