PDA

View Full Version : tranny - electric ????????

jrsfast84
09-20-2005, 02:05 PM
a friend of mine has a 89' Formula,th700r4, TPI motor is bad, we are building a 355"sbc,carb'd, taking out all computer stuff, will the trans. still work-lock-up, speed sensor, tv cable, don't know much about it, any info. would be helpful. JR1.

NJSPEEDER
09-20-2005, 03:40 PM
you can buy a kit from TCI to control the TC lock up, i think it is around $75 and it allows for both automatic lock up like it is with the computer and you can wire in a switch so you can control teh lock up manually(helps a ton in the second half of the track)
the TV cable is mechanical, so no problem there.
i would just ditch all the wiring for the VSS as well and witch to an earlier cable driven speedo. it will be much easier rewiring everything just to run 1 gauge without the computer. the rest of the gauges(volts, h2o temp, oil pressure, fuel level) are all sending units straight to the gauges as well. so all you woudl need to do is work out the speedo cable and gauge.

later
tim

jrsfast84
09-20-2005, 03:51 PM
but if i get rid of the TV cable, to put a 750 vacuum secondary carb. on, but if you leave the car in drive will it work, will it shift, without shifting manually, the trans. was just done from our trans. guy, its got 50 miles on it, thanks. JR1.

NJSPEEDER
09-20-2005, 04:32 PM
you just have to put another lug on the bell crank to keep the TV cable on a holley carb. you shoudl be abel to unscrew the piece from the stock throttle body(i say should because they often seize in place) and then use a TV cable and throttle bracket(slightly modified) from a carbed or tbi'ed third gen.
holley also makes the stud that you need if you can't get it off or dont feel like fighting with it.
i doubt it would act very good without the cable.

later
tim

9secfirebird
09-20-2005, 04:41 PM
to get the trans to go into OD you just need to put two wires going to the current diagnostic port, and wire a switch in the middle, and when third wines out, hit the switch and bang there is your fourth gear. ill talk to ya about it at island this weekend

badzracing
11-28-2005, 11:58 AM
DO NOT delete the TV cable......It controls line pressure and without it you'll burn the trans up very quickly. To put a cable operated speedo in it, you'll have to take the tail housing off, beat the reluctor ring off and replace it with a plastic speedo gear. TCC can be controlled hydraulically also, but requires some internal work. At this point buying the switch is probably the better alternative.

9secfirebird
11-28-2005, 04:42 PM
gimmie a call if ya need more info

NJSPEEDER
11-28-2005, 05:18 PM
to get the trans to go into OD you just need to put two wires going to the current diagnostic port, and wire a switch in the middle, and when third wines out, hit the switch and bang there is your fourth gear. ill talk to ya about it at island this weekend

the tranny is mechanical, it will go into 4th without any wires. the jumper in teh obd port is to manually lock up the convertor when using a stock computer.

V
11-29-2005, 12:01 AM
What you want for the old complete TPI motor? lol

witht he speedo, you cant convert it to a mechanical cable since the speedo itself takes an electric signal. IIRC, all firebirds/trans ams are like this starting in 85 or 86. but stock speedo should work fine with or without the computer. It uses an electronic sensor in the trans which send the signal to a yelllow buffer box. that box then sends the signal to the computer and also to the speedo. In 1990, the tpi systems incorporated the buffer box into the ECM.

camaroracer1992
11-29-2005, 08:51 AM
i say go reverse manual valve body like me!!!! 700r4's rock with them in it!! i have a tci with no engine braking

badzracing
11-29-2005, 03:12 PM
i say go reverse manual valve body like me!!!! 700r4's rock with them in it!! i have a tci with no engine braking
I have the same thing ( rmvb no/eb). So far so good. You don't need no stinking TV cable with this combo.

BonzoHansen
12-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Is this a drag car or a driver? I might think your intentions might help dictate which direction to go. Maybe the 700 is the wrong trans fort what you are trying to do.

Everything I have ever read about 700s is that the TV cable is vital and if misadjusted can cause tranny damage. The new motor you are building will probably want more converter than the stock 700r4 converter. Maybe you could swap in a new higher stall, non-locking one? Once your engine specs are finalized, call some of the companies that make these, like TCI, etc., and get their recommendations.

I don’t understand pulling the EFI out. For the $$ spent on carb & intake, you could upgrade the EFI, no?

Tru2Chevy
12-01-2005, 01:33 PM
JR's car is a low 9 second, very non-stock car.

BadZRacing knows tranny's his family owns Ziggy's.

Just to give you some background info..... :)

- Justin

BonzoHansen
12-01-2005, 01:54 PM
thanks. that make a difference. :)