PDA

View Full Version : Blown Transmission?

ar0ck
10-01-2005, 04:05 PM
What does it sound like? What are some noticble sounds, feelings, or smells?

What does a blown/shatered clutch sound like while in motion?

I was driving home from TTP today, I rode 1st gear out alittle bit down a block going under 2k rpms. Car drove fine felt really good, then I accelerated up a few times to 3rd gear and let off, and coasted ALOT.

Got on the highway and was messing around in the gears, untill I got a few blocks from my house I heard a loud pop and gringing noise, and it violently kicked the shifter out of 3rd gear. I went to put it back into gear thinking I poped the clutch by some random mistake, and it made a horrible grining/dragging sound. It continued for a few seconds untill I could find a safe spot to pull over. I emedietly turned off the car and looked at the drive-shaft, because maybe I had broken that, due to the grining noise thinking it was draging. Checked under neath, no smoke, no dripping oil it was totally clean! I poped the hood no smoke no odd smells nothing out of the ordinary!

I turned the car back on, with the clutch in, not in gear. As I slowly let out the clutch (shifter in Neutral) it made a grinding noise. I did it a few times to make sure it was my car. I put the clutch in, and put the shifter through 1st 2nd & 3rd and it was fine, I put it in reverse let the clutch out and it did fine no strange noises, but I put it into 1st and it started to make a grinding noise, car started to roll but was making a grinding noise like you took a garbage can out to the street!

Went to put it into 2nd, and it wouldnt let me, so I put the clutch in and raised the RPM's and it slid into 2nd.

Drove a whole nother block just with this horrible gear grinding sound! I have no clue what it is.

BTW, 95 Z28 Camaro, 6-speed. Original clutch with 103,000 when the fluid was flushed the fluid was very very dark!

Only trans work I had was new fluid in the rear end and transmission with a poly bushing.

enRo
10-01-2005, 04:49 PM
I read the topic and i already know what it is... its your STOCK CLUTCH in an over-the-100k-mile-mark car.

NJSPEEDER
10-01-2005, 05:03 PM
was it a metal on metal scraping noise? that is usually the sound of a clutch that has found the rivets. but there is also normally a strong burnt asbestos smell along with it.

later
tim

2001orangess
10-01-2005, 10:51 PM
sorry to hear that

Ian
10-02-2005, 01:36 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else and say its the clutch. just get a stock replacement for now because you dont really have plans to make the car more powerful.

2001orangess
10-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else and say its the clutch. just get a stock replacement for now because you dont really have plans to make the car more powerful.

if you're gonna replace it, replace it with something better than stock. you know, just in case he puts some power adders :wink:
that clutch was gonna go sooner or later :lol:

ar0ck
10-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I called up my good local transmission shop, All-Star in Haldean, and the guy Chris who owns it said it sounds like a throw-out bearing has gone bad.

I was heading up their grinding nice & fine, untill I had to stop for some road construction, then it totally locked me out of all the gears! Â*I couldnt put it into any gear, no grinding just locked out, and I couldnt move. Â*After a while I finally jabbed it into 3rd, and had to take off from their. Â*Car got rolling after some strugeling to keep it alive, and furhter down the block my car completely locked up, ABS and all! Â*So I got stuck in the middle of the road, my dad got the bright idea to push me to the side w/ my sisters car, and her lisence plate frame dug into my rear bumper and scrathed it to all hell and totally ****ed up it up in the process! Â*Some local DPW people pulled over and helped push my car to the a safe spot on the side of the road, where I ditched it.

What a way to start of the morning & week!

Savage_Messiah
10-03-2005, 02:18 PM
so... your car is on the side of some road now?

j0n
10-03-2005, 02:20 PM
kasey...road trip? i got AAA

ar0ck
10-03-2005, 03:40 PM
so... your car is on the side of some road now?

Well I finished my journey to the transmission shop, and told them where I left it, their gonna try and drive it home if not they'll set me up with a tow. What a horrible mess.

The only good news this weekend, was the car pulled like Ive never felt before! Best 15 minute drive home ever! Once its back it will be as good as new.

Savage_Messiah
10-03-2005, 03:54 PM
kasey...road trip? i got AAA

me too but no car, head on up here :lol:

Alex I dunno about you but even with the crabox that my car is right now I wouldn't leave it ont he side of a road. Call one of us, **** I have AAA plus or whatever and it's some good free towing