PDA

View Full Version : How to disable Daytime Running Lights and Auto-On Headlights

V
10-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Want to turn off your Daytime Running Lights and Automatic Headlights???

When i first got my SS, I knew I had to get rid of the DRLs and automatic headlights, after searching for quite a while, I found a tech article that helped me. Â*Today I was looking for that same article to see if I could also apply it to getting rid of the DRLs and auto headlights in my 99 denali. Â*I found a similar tech article I thought I should share, maybe some other people here could use it. Â*

I'd only add my one thing to the article, where it says to open the module and solder a jumper, instead, dont open it up, just make a jumper wire and jump to the inside of the connector. Â*Thats how I did it and its been fine for over 4 years. Â*By doing it that way, even the novice car person will have much less of a chance of damaging anything.

Heres the link: http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html

ryanfx
10-17-2005, 11:39 AM
I dont know about you guys but I really like the look of the DRL's - I think they look mean as hell!

on a side note if I had a camaro I WOULD disable the auto-on headlights before I did anything else lol

curt86iroc
10-18-2005, 08:51 PM
to disable the daytime running lamps press the dome light override 4 times in 10 seconds. im not sure about the auto-on headlights. i suppose you could always disconnect the sensor on the dash.

V
10-18-2005, 08:58 PM
the dome override trick only works on the NBS 99+ full size trucks, not '99 model year suvs which is the old body style, i am a member at FullSizeChevy.com and 99 suv oweners are otu of luck. Â*and if you disconnect the sensor, the lights come one full time i believe. As of now they only way the FSC members diasable the auto on for 99 is to put a resistor where the sensor is, but i dont care for that method.

enRo
10-18-2005, 09:13 PM
I like my DRL's but i can do without the auto headlights. It sucks when im in a bank or in traffic under a bridge and they gotta come on 12:00 in the afternoon.

Savage_Messiah
10-18-2005, 09:26 PM
I like my DRLs... dont mind the auto-on but I wish there was a way to turn em off at will

curt86iroc
10-23-2005, 10:38 PM
the dome override trick only works on the NBS 99+ full size trucks, not '99 model year suvs which is the old body style, i am a member at FullSizeChevy.com and 99 suv oweners are otu of luck. Â*and if you disconnect the sensor, the lights come one full time i believe. Â*As of now they only way the FSC members diasable the auto on for 99 is to put a resistor Â*where the sensor is, but i dont care for that method.

works on my 99 blazer

V
10-23-2005, 11:49 PM
is it a fullsize blazer or s10?

GP99GT
10-24-2005, 09:20 AM
i pulled out my fuse for the DRL/auto on lights...now it works just like an older car, one turn of the knob gives me fog lights and amber corner lights, 2 gives me headlights/fogs/corners.

Ian
10-24-2005, 12:26 PM
is it a fullsize blazer or s10?

S10

9secfirebird
10-24-2005, 03:47 PM
pull the fuse.

V
10-24-2005, 04:29 PM
s10s are different from the full size trucks. 99 was the change over year for fullsize pickups and 2000 was the new body style SUVs, s10s i think switched over in 98.

pulling the fuse will only disable the drls and according to my owners manual that fuse is also for my fog light relay, BUT i want to get rid of the auto-on headlights as well with out doing the resistor trick with the ligth sensor.

but to clear it up, dont worry about it, I will figure it out myself they way i want to do it, i really just started this thread to give people an idea of how to disable their own drls and auto on headlights in a 4th gen f body, i was never asking for help with my truck. so you can all let this thread die and just forget about it.

LS1Hawk
11-23-2005, 10:13 AM
This is news to me. I didn't know Camaros' headlights go on automatically when it gets dark. That's gotta be annoying.

BonzoHansen
11-23-2005, 11:20 PM
I love the auto lights in my olds. I get in my wifes Pilot and I forget to turn them on/off all the time.

Been contemplating figuring out how to set up drl & auto lights in my 77. :)

GP99GT
11-24-2005, 07:50 PM
all i did was pull the fuse out of my fuse box, lol

it controls the DRLs and auto-on lights, nothing else...so i pulled it and no adverse effects

Brando56894
11-25-2005, 06:25 PM
yea i didnt know that camaros had auto on headlights until i was goin to kaseys house one time and he was sayin sumthin about how my lights should come on or sumthin and i was like umm no, then he told me his had the auto ons i thought that was kinda odd...

V
11-25-2005, 08:23 PM
My intention of this post was not to start a whole thread, but share the tech article as maybe a sticky to help others out, i should have asked the thread to be locked as well since all the discussion was never intended.

yeah but auto on headlights can get annoying when you want the car running at night and dont want the lights on, there is no way other than turning the car off, putting the ebrake on then starting the car again. besides with the DRLs on my denali they are the low beams at like 75% power so once i put my HIDs in, itll create all sorts of issues. I dont want my HIDs to come on when they feel like it, I go a lot of places at nighttime where headlights on all the time are a problem

now i will ask again, please let this thread die, or I ask the admins to delete it completely.