PDA

View Full Version : easiest way to swap k member?

V
10-22-2005, 03:54 PM
In abotu 2 weeks, I need to change the k member in my 94 z28, possibly a-arms too. The a-arms i can handle swapping, but i havent pulled a 4th gen engine k meber yet. When i take out my LS1 in my SS, i'm dropping the whole engine and trans with it, but in my 94 Z28 i want to keep the lt1 in the car and just pull the k member. Whats the easiest way to go about doing this? I know the basics... power steering lines, steering shaft, engine mounts, 4(or 6) k member bolts, upper shock tower mounts, and what else am i forgetting? Can I just support the engine with a hoist from above?(no hood will be on the car) and have the car already on jackstands? then i'll unbolt it all and just drop down the front k member and suspension. I will be swapping the damaged stock 94 z28 k member with a stock piece from a 96 LT1 Formula, should fit no problem right?. Any advice would be appreciated.

ar0ck
10-22-2005, 04:24 PM
I honestly think it would be easier, to drop the entire K-member, with the engine & trans, then seperate the engine & trans with a cherry picker, and slide the new K-member underneath.

The LT1 K-Member assembly is exactly the same as the LS1.

Ian
10-23-2005, 05:21 PM
seeins as how the k-member is what holds the engine up, you'd need to get an engine support that runs from one side of the engine bay to the other and attach the motor to that.

V
10-23-2005, 07:05 PM
i do believe ls1 and lt1 setup are a tiny bit different due to the location of the motor mounts or something like that.

Well as of now my plans are to get the car up on jackstands to a reasonable height, then with the hood removed, i'll attach my engine hoist to the engine, then ill go underneath and unbolt only the motor mounts, once thats unbolted, i'll go up top again and jack up the engine with the hoist just a tiny bit to take the weight off the k member. then i can easily undo the rest of the stuff i have to and i'll use a floor jack to lower the entire front suspension setup down and out of the way. Then i'll roll the new setup back under the car, jack it up with the floor jack and once everythings bolted up underneath, ill then lower the hoist back down so the engine sits back on the k member in the new mounts and bolt the motor back up. I think thatll be the easiest way.

84HOtransam
10-24-2005, 01:56 AM
i do believe ls1 and lt1 setup are a tiny bit different due to the location of the motor mounts or something like that.

Well as of now my plans are to get the car up on jackstands to a reasonable height, then with the hood removed, i'll attach my engine hoist to the engine, then ill go underneath and unbolt only the motor mounts, once thats unbolted, i'll go up top again and jack up the engine with the hoist just a tiny bit to take the weight off the k member. Â*then i can easily undo the rest of the stuff i have to and i'll use a floor jack to lower the entire front suspension setup down and out of the way. Â*Then i'll roll the new setup back under the car, jack it up with the floor jack and once everythings bolted up underneath, ill then lower the hoist back down so the engine sits back on the k member in the new mounts and bolt the motor back up. I think thatll be the easiest way.

since the motor/trans is staying in the car that sounds like your best bet

Savage_Messiah
10-24-2005, 09:57 AM

Well as of now my plans are to get the car up on jackstands to a reasonable height, then with the hood removed, i'll attach my engine hoist to the engine, then ill go underneath and unbolt only the motor mounts, once thats unbolted, i'll go up top again and jack up the engine with the hoist just a tiny bit to take the weight off the k member. Â*then i can easily undo the rest of the stuff i have to and i'll use a floor jack to lower the entire front suspension setup down and out of the way. Â*Then i'll roll the new setup back under the car, jack it up with the floor jack and once everythings bolted up underneath, ill then lower the hoist back down so the engine sits back on the k member in the new mounts and bolt the motor back up. I think thatll be the easiest way.

sounds good, give me a call if you want an extra hand (if its on a weekend...), I will be helping someone swapping a 4th gen k-member this winter so learning would be cool

1984camaroz28
01-15-2006, 06:49 PM
I honestly think it would be easier, to drop the entire K-member, with the engine & trans, then seperate the engine & trans with a cherry picker, and slide the new K-member underneath.

The LT1 K-Member assembly is exactly the same as the LS1.

10x the work they make an adjustable brace to hold the motor up that ges from strut tower to tower. get that in place onbolt the motor mounts and unbolt the rest of the kmember..........

Wasted Youth
01-16-2006, 05:50 PM
ive done a few k-frames...one using the brace and lift at work and one using an engine hoist, myself and a floor jack at home...was obviously fast using the hoist at work...and having someone hold up the other side...but i did it in 2.5 at home using the floor jack on one side and myself on the other side...its not hard...look at it like 6 bolts more then changing springs or struts...figure motor mounts and the like 4-6 bolts holding it up...now if you are changing a damaged subframe the holes may not line up...sometimes the car needs to be on the ground to get it the stretch enough to get that last bolt in...for unibody cars....

V
01-20-2006, 04:55 PM
i got it out easy, took me like 10 min per side to yank all the suspension, then i un did the motor mounts and just used a floor jack to support the engine, once the rack was unbolted, i just dropped the k member down, now i gotta find time to put the other one in ...im lazy..

89 Trans Am WS6
03-09-2006, 06:49 PM
And hope your hydraulics dont give out on the picker/floor jack

Another reason the stut bar to strut bar engine brace would have worked better..

Hope ya got that thing supported somehow..good luck with it tho

V
03-09-2006, 06:50 PM
...old thread...