PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody tell me why my car eats turn signal bulbs?!

enRo
10-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Im on my 6th pack of turn signals in a little over a week. The first three packs were blue Eurolite's, the next 2 were OEM yellow ones, and this set I just burned out is some nameless company in japan. What the hell is going on? The bulb socket itself is now **** brown and somewhat distorted. And every time a bulb gets eaten, it gets discolored and the plastic base literally melts. Its a 3157 bulb FYI. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

ar0ck
10-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Sounds like a short somewhere, check any grounds, and clean all of the contacts. Id stick to OEM for replacements later on.

9secfirebird
10-24-2005, 03:46 PM
start with the bulb socket, id get a new one, and then get a fresh OEM-type bulb and try that, its not unheardof for those sockets to go bad or get some corrosion in there and kill themselfs

enRo
10-24-2005, 07:27 PM
I did some reading, and a couple of other people had the same problem as well. They installed clear corners and wanted an upgrade in their bulbs, so they got a certain type of LED (same as me). And someone else said that in order to upgrade to a better bulb that a Tridon/Stant EL12 Flasher has to be installed.

So Ill go to autozone tomorrow and check er out. I need the sockets to cuz they look like a melted candle :)

Savage_Messiah
10-24-2005, 09:10 PM
ive heard about clear corners leaking and problems resulting from that...

V
10-25-2005, 12:45 AM
the superwhite bulbs burn just too hot and burn up the sockets and cause problems, i did the same thing when i got my SS, I bought clears and superwhite bulbs, with the daytime running lights, the bulbs are at full power almost all the time. I actually melted my first pair of clear lenses, then i got my second set. When i installed those, i found the bad sockets and changed them, thats why and when i disabled my DRLs. At that point i switched back to the clear stock bulbs. but now the clears started to leak and when the bulb would get wet, it would shatter, I finally bought a third set of diamond cut euro clears on ebay from the seller procarparts.com for like $27. When i put those in, i put in stock size bulbs but amber instead of clear. With the Benz HID headlights the amber parking lights looked good with the euro clears. Ihave had that setup for over 3 years without burnign out a bulb. So all in all, change your sockets and only use stock bulbs from now on. This problem is very common and one of the main reasons to disable the DRLs if you must use aftermarket bulbs.

ryanfx
11-08-2005, 10:05 AM
smokingss I just bought that same set on ebay from that seller - I hope it lasts me as long as it does you =D