PDA

View Full Version : Official "What is up with this new forum?" thread

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2005, 12:49 AM
Please use this space to post up any questions you have about this new forum software. You can also post up any problems that you see, and I will try to get them fixed asap.

Thanks everyone!

- Justin

ps - Don't forget to add your birthdays to your profile!

coldkilla
11-10-2005, 01:13 AM
hmm, i kinda liked the old version better but ill get used to this one. why does it say vbulletin at the top when we should be looking at our logo and club name. if thats the name of the graphic designer or whatever, it should be relegated to a small call out at the bottom of the screen.

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2005, 01:16 AM
hmm, i kinda liked the old version better but ill get used to this one. why does it say vbulletin at the top when we should be looking at our logo and club name. if thats the name of the graphic designer or whatever, it should be relegated to a small call out at the bottom of the screen.

It will prolly have the club name by this weekend at the latest. Didn't have time to get the logo ready to go.

I don't know if you have ever used a vbulletin forum before, but they are generally considered to be one of the best out there. Look for many more featuers to be added in the coming weeks :)

- Justin

coldkilla
11-10-2005, 01:25 AM
cool, no ive never used one before, or i probably have and just dont know the difference between the different types. a color changing feature would rock as well.

V
11-10-2005, 02:30 AM
just something i noticed, in all the sigs, anywhere someone used an apostrophe or a quotation mark, there is a \ in fornt of it now... not a big deal though, and yeah i guess ill try getting used to this new style, i dunno though, i already told kasey what i think of it, lol.

oh yeah, and where are all the smileys?

JW
11-10-2005, 07:33 AM
just something i noticed, in all the sigs, anywhere someone used an apostrophe or a quotation mark, there is a \ in fornt of it now... not a big deal though, and yeah i guess ill try getting used to this new style, i dunno though, i already told kasey what i think of it, lol.

oh yeah, and where are all the smileys?

The \ is for the programming language PHP, and the smileys you can either use the code for them :) or hit the smiley button down at the bottom of the post screen, I sure they are going to add a short cut for smileys later. I like the site design so far but , its only morning I am still looking lol. I do like the mouse over feature for like quick looks as to what the post is about, so I dont actually have to click and read all the non-sense post by koll about nothing lol.

JW :D

camaro2you
11-10-2005, 07:55 AM
I do like the mouse over feature for like quick looks as to what the post is about, so I dont actually have to click and read all the non-sense post by koll about nothing lol.

JW :D

i agree

ShitOnWheels
11-10-2005, 09:05 AM
I have a request, if it's possible. Have a link to return to the forums at the bottom of the thread. Like for instance, on this thread, look below the last post, and there is no easy way to get back to the News/Support forum, or even the main forum. Down at the bottom of the page (below the quick reply) are links to go to the main page (the one that doesn't get updated ever) and I can click "Top" to get up to the top to click back, but that's an extra step. IF there's anyway to get a link either below the last post or with those other links below the quick reply, that would make it so much better ;)

ShitOnWheels
11-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Something else I noticed, and I've noticed this on other boards using this vb version, when I view the forums, but don't read every thread, and then come back later (after closing out the browser), I still get those same threads showing me there has been new posts when there really hasn't. I know I could just clikc "mark all read" and take care of it, but again, that's an extra step. DUnno if it's just something with this version or what. If that could somehow be fixed, that would be awesome as well. ;)

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2005, 09:22 AM
SmokingSS - The slightly odd sig characters came in during the database import, like JW said, it was because of the way PHP handles the import.

The smilies are not available in the quick reply form yet, but I'm looking for a way to make that possible.

Genie - I'm looking for a way to get the same set of links that appear at the top of the page listed at the bottom as well, just like phpBB had. And as for the front page, it will be changing very soon :D

- Justin

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Something else I noticed, and I've noticed this on other boards using this vb version, when I view the forums, but don't read every thread, and then come back later (after closing out the browser), I still get those same threads showing me there has been new posts when there really hasn't. I know I could just clikc "mark all read" and take care of it, but again, that's an extra step. DUnno if it's just something with this version or what. If that could somehow be fixed, that would be awesome as well. ;)

Interesting.....

I haven't seen that (but then again, I read everything). I'll look into it, I'm thinking it may have something to do with the session cookies.

- Justin

ShitOnWheels
11-10-2005, 09:46 AM
"Threads: 6,869, Posts: 82,497, Members: 640, Active Members: 7"

What determines an active member for this? Seems kinda low, doesn't it?

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2005, 09:54 AM
"Threads: 6,869, Posts: 82,497, Members: 640, Active Members: 7"

What determines an active member for this? Seems kinda low, doesn't it?

vBulletin has a feature that allows you to display the number of "active members". They define this as the number of users who have logged onto the forum in the past X days. We decided to set X = 14. I thought that the database was supposed to update the count once every hour, but obviously it isn't. It's on my to-do list.....

- Justin

ShitOnWheels
11-10-2005, 09:56 AM
vBulletin has a feature that allows you to display the number of "active members". They define this as the number of users who have logged onto the forum in the past X days. We decided to set X = 14. I thought that the database was supposed to update the count once every hour, but obviously it isn't. It's on my to-do list.....

- Justin
Ah, ok :)

Oh, for my other problem (new posts in threads I already read) it also happens in threads I read, not just ones I didn't read.

I wonder if I log out each time if it'll help...i'll check it

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Ah, ok :)

Oh, for my other problem (new posts in threads I already read) it also happens in threads I read, not just ones I didn't read.

I wonder if I log out each time if it'll help...i'll check it

Sometimes the "unread post" icon won't go away if you are in a thread, and then click back on the NJFBOA link. You have to go back to the specific forum you are in first, then back to the main forum page to get rid of unread icon. Or you just have to read it twice. It's annoying me too, so I'll add it to the list

- Justin

ShitOnWheels
11-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Yeah, it's gotta be a cookie thing. I logged out and logged back in and it shows no new posts.

coldkilla
11-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Tru2Chevy, yer doing a great job, dont let all our bitching, gripes and requests tell ya otherwise. We know your to do list is a mile long. Just thougth I'd let ya know.

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Tru2Chevy, yer doing a great job, dont let all our bitching, gripes and requests tell ya otherwise. We know your to do list is a mile long. Just thougth I'd let ya know.

Thanks.....but keep the gripes and requests coming. I'm open to any suggestions that you guys have for the board (unless your suggestion sucks :lol: )

- Justin

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Yeah, it's gotta be a cookie thing. I logged out and logged back in and it shows no new posts.

I fixed this....sorta. You might see lots of posts marked as read, but if you log out, then log back in it should fix itself.

- Justin

ar0ck
11-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Sig Size Max Requirements!

One other thing, how do I disable the subscribed threads feature? Whenever I respond to a thread it comes up in my user CP I dont like that.

Other then that I was strangly thinking about the browse over feature of vB the other night.

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2005, 11:10 AM
One other thing, how do I disable the subscribed threads feature? Whenever I respond to a thread it comes up in my user CP I dont like that.

Go to your UserCP --> Edit Options --> Default Thread Subscription Mode --> Set it to "Do Not Subscribe"

I'm working on the size limit for the pics....

- Justin

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Sig Size Max Requirements!

Max. sig size is now 150 pixels high by 500 pixels wide. Users who have larger images than that in their sigs will have the offending picture removed by an admin.

- Justin

ShitOnWheels
11-10-2005, 11:55 AM
I fixed this....sorta. You might see lots of posts marked as read, but if you log out, then log back in it should fix itself.

- Justin
Looks like it's been mostly fixed. Just need to refresh the thread lists before going to the forum list, and I'm ok. Thanx.

enRo
11-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Looks good. I always though vBulletin was a better forum (under my own experience). But I never knew you could import phpBB into vBulletin. I learn somethin new everyday.

Like I said, if you guys need help skinning or whatever, I'm glad to help. ;-) Keep up the good work.

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2005, 01:07 PM
I thought that the database was supposed to update the count once every hour, but obviously it isn't. It's on my to-do list.....

- Justin

Reason.....active members are updated every 24 hours when the database runs it's daily statistics. Tomorrow morning the number of active users should be way up....

- Justin

biggsj84
11-10-2005, 06:44 PM
I know I could just clikc "mark all read" and take care of it

where is that feature available at...or is it just gonna be taken care of soon, cause its just a lil bothersome:confused:

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2005, 07:59 PM
where is that feature available at...or is it just gonna be taken care of soon, cause its just a lil bothersome:confused:

The mark all read feature is in the Forum Tools drop down box.

What are you asking about? I've been fixing stuff all day....

- Justin

NLinnear
11-12-2005, 10:55 PM
I have a problem. The new forum has too many features:clown:

On a serious note, a big congrats to everyone involved in the upgrade :toast:

Tru2Chevy
11-13-2005, 10:46 PM
I have a problem. The new forum has too many features:clown:

On a serious note, a big congrats to everyone involved in the upgrade :toast:

But new features are the coolest! :lol:

Thanks!

- Justin

Oddball
11-14-2005, 11:44 AM
It took me a little while but i'm getting used to it. Nice work!

Savage_Messiah
11-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Can we make the forum header "v6 > all"??