PDA

View Full Version : starting suspension repairs on my z28

V
11-13-2005, 10:01 AM
I finally have time to start fixing my 94 Z28. The previous owner hit a median at about 25-30mph over a year and a half ago and the car sat since. The damage was mainly confined to the drivers side suspension. Only body damage was that the lower fender mounting bolt popped loose.

In the rear, the drivers side lower control arm tore away from around the axle side mount. When the rear shifted back, the sway bar end link bent and held the rear at that point. To fix this, i just need to remove the endlink and replace it with another one i have in stock, lol, then i have to remove the damaged lca and i'm putting in a stock one i removed from my ss when i put spohn lcas in that car. That takes car of the rear.

The front is a little more involved. So far from what i saw, it appears the drivers side front wheel is pushed back and up a little. From a quick look, i think the lower a arm is ok, but it damaged the mounting holes on the k member. To fix that, i have a lt1 k member from a 96 formula(GM high performance magazine project car) and i just remembed that it still has the lower a arms, sway bar, and even the steering rack still installed. once i get the rear lca fixed i can drive the car into my garage where i can fix the front end. I'm gonna jack the car up, remove the hood and hook the motor to my engine hoist. that way i can take the load off the k member so i can drop it down and swap it out. once i get that all back together, i should be good to go. I MAY need a drivers side front shock. if i do, i will buy a pair brand new from summit and have them overnighted. and if i need any other small parts, i may have them or i can pull them from my 94 v6 parts camaro.
I'll take pictures of basically everything i do and post them up if anyone wants to see how to do this type of repairs.

Savage_Messiah
11-14-2005, 02:06 AM
sweet, good luck

V
11-14-2005, 04:57 PM
i did the lca, it was in 2 pieces, the sway bar itself along with the endlink looks like it may be bent too, so thatll get replaced down the line. i drove the car around the corner to my other driveway where i can work on it more and it ran good, but when i was washing it, i noticed that both rear wheels leaned in, so yeah the rear is bent pretty bad, im working on finding a replacement. i'm hoping to get it all sorted out and get it on the road this weekend. but only time will tell.