PDA

View Full Version : 10 bolt rear question

V
11-13-2005, 02:35 PM
ok, the rear in my 94 z28 is bent, so i need to replace it.

I am looking to buy a complete LT1 rear but i need it asap so that may not work.

I have two other ideas in mind. first, i have the stock 10 bolt housing from my '01 SS, I was thinking about putting the lt1 brakes, axles, and center section in that housing. i'd just need new bearing most likely. plus id have to make sure my lt1 axles are fine still, i'm pretty sure they are. My other idea is that i also have a 94 v6 drum brake rear. Is it possible to put the disc brakes on that rear and then i'll put the z28 center in that as well. let me know what you guys think i should do. I am in pretty big of a rush to get this done so time does matter. -Paul

NJSPEEDER
11-13-2005, 02:50 PM
the housing, axles, and brake mounting plates all interchange on 4th gen rears.
that means the V6 housing will be fine. just unbolt the drum brake hardware and pop the disc brake stuff on. the V6 and V8 cars use the same axles, so jsut re-use the V6 pieces if you know they are good and aren't 100% sure of the LT1 rear axles.
only thing you have to watch out for is the ABS. check if you need 3 channel(1 sensor in the top of the center section) or 4channel(sensors at teh end of each tube) before you swap.

V
11-13-2005, 04:15 PM
ok, sounds good, as far as i know, the 94 z28 doesn't have traction control so it should be 3 channel. I'll go look now to see where the sensors are. If the car does have trac. control, where would the switch for it be? i didnt notcie it yet.