PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Story, dealing with idiots here...

enRo
11-17-2005, 11:32 AM
So I went to my local Autozone to check out a new alternator cuz something in the pully in mine is ****ed (for my WS6). I took the alternator with me, and all the alternators they had stocked had different pulleys and mounting brackets. So i said screw it, and I went to R&S Strauss (another car store in the area). They want to do a special order thatll take an hour, and he asked me if its a V8 TBI or a V8 MPFI ... I said Ummm, its a V8 TPI .... he said "TPI?" ... i said "Yea, Tuned Port Injection" . While he was on the phone, he gathered a price for a TBI and MPFI alternator which looks pretty much the same except the mounting, both for $80 and a $30 core. Then he said it will cost $210 with a $40 core charge for a Tuned Port Injection ... WTF?! Am I dealing with idiots here?!

What Id like to know, TPI is MPFI, correct?! Then why the hell does it cost $100 more for a "TPI" Alternator?! LOL

foff667
11-17-2005, 01:44 PM
you have a computer right? your online right now right? go to autozone.com & figure it out yourself then...drrr then you wont have to deal with the morons that work at these places.

enRo
11-17-2005, 02:55 PM
you have a computer right? your online right now right? go to autozone.com & figure it out yourself then...drrr then you wont have to deal with the morons that work at these places.

Im already a few steps ahead of ya... I checked the site before I went anywhere and they said it was in stock, but they arent specific with engines... its either 305 TB or 305 FI .... i went to autozone and the mounting holes in the front were completely different. :shrug: I dunno...

V
11-17-2005, 04:27 PM
well, if its a serpentine belt drive setup, for 88-92 engines,the alts are the same for either tbi of tpi. before that i'm not sure, but i never had a probelm getting alternators. Is there a way they can enter your vin to get the right part number? if so, give them a vin off the type of car that the motor originally came out of.

camaro2you
11-17-2005, 05:55 PM
i can beat that the idiots at my advance autoparts in turnersville couldnt find intake manifold gaskets for a 350!!! god damn they were practically the same for more than 30 years!!! lol

enRo
11-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Well, I happened to get their "TPI" Alternator and its a perfect match... I had to pay $170 though. Its a new manufactured one. And I will be getting that money back because when I took it out of the box the pulley fan was bent. Im done with this car, its had more problems than my Algebra book :roll:

foff667
11-17-2005, 10:13 PM
geez you've even taken it out of your sig...you must really be sick of that car lol

enRo
11-17-2005, 11:12 PM
geez you've even taken it out of your sig...you must really be sick of that car lol

Yeah... noticed how it said "Fear It" at the top of the pic? Well, Im kinda fearing my knuckles are gonna break into pieces from all the smashing ive done trying to get that Alternator off/on and the Power steering pump off/on . My middle finger knuckle is the size of half a golfball (no joke)

Savage_Messiah
11-19-2005, 12:45 AM
if you want to destroy it im game :D