View Full Version : Hood Pins

ar0ck
12-16-2005, 10:49 AM
1993-97 Camaro Hood
2-1/2'' Cowl Induction Scoop
''Show Series'' Smooth Underside
Bolt-On Style

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/48712201.jpg

What does Bolt-On hood mean exactly? Does that mean the hood hinges & latch will work with the hood? I want to run hood-pins, but what are the rules for them so I can pass tech to race?

V
12-16-2005, 11:33 AM
bolt on is a true bolt on, no hoods pins required. It uses your stock latch and hood hinges, BUT front hood pins are highly recommened by every fiberglass hood manufacturer for ALL fiberglass hoods, including bolt ons. I have a 4" cowl hood on my gf's monte without hoodpins and I dont think i will be putting any, its not like she'll be drag racing it or even going over 75mph. It does have the factory safety latch so thatll do. The hood pins on a bolt-on are more of just a safety precaution. As for tech requirements for racing, I dont think they require pins for bolt on hoods. I'll be running a 4" cowl lift-off hood on my z28 so obviously i'll have the 4 hood pins like i had in the past on my Iroc just because I like the look and I dont mind removing the whole hood to work on the engine.

ar0ck
12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
bolt on is a true bolt on, no hoods pins required. It uses your stock latch and hood hinges, BUT front hood pins are highly recommened by every fiberglass hood manufacturer for ALL fiberglass hoods, including bolt ons. I have a 4" cowl hood on my gf's monte without hoodpins and I dont think i will be putting any, its not like she'll be drag racing it or even going over 75mph. It does have the factory safety latch so thatll do. The hood pins on a bolt-on are more of just a safety precaution. As for tech requirements for racing, I dont think they require pins for bolt on hoods. I'll be running a 4" cowl lift-off hood on my z28 so obviously i'll have the 4 hood pins like i had in the past on my Iroc just because I like the look and I dont mind removing the whole hood to work on the engine.

Correct me if Im wrong, but cant hood pins also prevent stress on the hood? Ive heard of people who bolt everything on and they get stress cracks where the latch would be?

V
12-16-2005, 12:36 PM
that is possible, but may also depend on the vehicle and quality of the hood. on the 3rd and 4th gen camaros i could see stress being a larger factor due to the headlight buckets allowing air to flow under the front of the hood. But like on my monte, it would not get nearly as much air pressure. Also, with a good quality hood like a Harwood hood, i would expect to see less instances of stress damage than those no-name companies online selling fiberglass hoods. If you dont mind the front hood pins, then use them, it wouldnt hurt. The one thign that does bother me ALOT, are the people who use hood pins on pure stock hoods(and aren't running like 11 sec 1/4 times)

Ian
12-17-2005, 01:04 PM
The one thign that does bother me ALOT, are the people who use hood pins on pure stock hoods(and aren't running like 11 sec 1/4 times)

:shock:

*cough*craig*cough* :lol:

NJSPEEDER
12-17-2005, 01:21 PM
get in touch with little g about his hood pins. he got them when we were at teh daytona 24 hour race last year from www.cdoc.com
they are a captured pin style so you never have to worry about losing the pins, aluminum construction, and they look pretty cool.

Savage_Messiah
12-17-2005, 01:56 PM
:shock:

*cough*craig*cough* :lol:

well craig's hood isn't a PURE stock hood... :lol:

V
12-17-2005, 01:57 PM
lol, well i didnt mean anyone here, its just that i see A LOT of imports in my area, like bone stock civics with hood pins that serve absolutely no purpose. and didnt craig remove his latch setup anyway? in that case its different, but hood pins look ok on f bodys, but dont belong on a civic, integra, or a neon.

and yes i said neon...

Savage_Messiah
12-17-2005, 03:39 PM
lol, well i didnt mean anyone here, its just that i see A LOT of imports in my area, like bone stock civics with hood pins that serve absolutely no purpose. and didnt craig remove his latch setup anyway? in that case its different, but hood pins look ok on f bodys, but dont belong on a civic, integra, or a neon.

and yes i said neon...

yes he did and I see those aroudn too... there's a BMW 3 series in Cresskill, red with a black hood, the hood has CF look but I don't think it is CF, i think there were some gaudy ass pins on it (last time i saw it was liek 2 yrs ago).... it's crap like a neon

V
12-17-2005, 04:09 PM
i do believe that is a real CF hood on that beemer, i cant think of his name right now, but a friend of mine beat the **** out of him months back for some reason, lol

Savage_Messiah
12-17-2005, 04:27 PM
lol well at least you know what car I'm talkign about :lol:

V
12-17-2005, 04:31 PM
then theres also a red eclipse out of cresskill with a black hood too, not sure if it has hood pins, probably. His name is chris, he HAD a white 30th anniversary SS with an LT4, i was going to buy it for 8k which was his loan buy-out, but the dumbass didnt get back to me and instead called the bank and told them to come and repo it.

Savage_Messiah
12-17-2005, 04:52 PM
I know the car you're talkign about, he is or was going out with a girl that was a senior when I was a freshman in Tenafly. I liked his SS, saw it in Bergenfield a couple times

Tru2Chevy
12-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Alex, if you are planning on running hood pins (either just in front, or on all four corners) you don't have to buy the bolt-on hood. Harwood makes rear-hinge and lift-off hoods for thirdgens, so I would assume that they do the same for fourth gens. Personally I would get a rear-hinged hood, that way you can use your stock rear hinges, and pins in the front, and you don't have to worry about the added cost and weight of the hood that is built for a stock latch.

- Justin

Teds89IROC
12-19-2005, 09:32 PM
not to hijack the thread, but how was it lifting the lift-off hood Paul? How much did it weigh? I wanna get the cirvini ram air hood, same as boon's (misterjuice)..only thing I see is that the bolt on is $500 and the lift off is $225 :shrug: My dad was saying lift-off's usually fit like **** and are a cheaper piece than the bolt on, which makes sense..but I'm not sure what to do.

~Ted

V
12-19-2005, 10:50 PM
The lift off i had was great, I had one on my 86 iroc and my 88 iroc with the 383. I had both Harwood hoods which fit great and very very good quality. The hood weighed like 5-10 lbs, like a little wind would blow it away if i leaned it up anywhere. I would pull the pins, than grab it from the front and lift if over my head and put it on the roof of the car while i worked on the engine. and keep in mind it was a convertible top that i put the hood on and without any problems. In the 88 iroc i went way over 100mph without problems but once in my 86 iroc a front hood pin came out at like 90mph but luckily i had a one piece front end bra on the car and it saved my hood from getting ripped off, lol. And with my 94 z28, im doing a lift off hood from Glasstek because of price and weight, and i dont mind having to remove the whole hood to work on the motor.

Tru2Chevy
12-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Ted, I know there is a huge difference in price, however I think the look or your car would be ruined with hood pins. It's too clean for that, unless you also toss on some slicks/skinnies at the same time.

- Justin

SteveR
12-20-2005, 07:15 AM
The lift off i had was great, I had one on my 86 iroc and my 88 iroc with the 383. I had both Harwood hoods which fit great and very very good quality. The hood weighed like 5-10 lbs, like a little wind would blow it away if i leaned it up anywhere. I would pull the pins, than grab it from the front and lift if over my head and put it on the roof of the car while i worked on the engine. and keep in mind it was a convertible top that i put the hood on and without any problems. In the 88 iroc i went way over 100mph without problems but once in my 86 iroc a front hood pin came out at like 90mph but luckily i had a one piece front end bra on the car and it saved my hood from getting ripped off, lol. And with my 94 z28, im doing a lift off hood from Glasstek because of price and weight, and i dont mind having to remove the whole hood to work on the motor.

Were you using the standard pins or the torsion pins when one came out? I'm thinking about going with a lift off hood for my '79 and using torsion pins but I'm worried about them coming out.

V
12-20-2005, 07:56 AM
i had the torsion ones i think, whatever ones you just slid in from the side and they have the one straight side and the other side has the bends. later on i started using the round pins with the straight pin in the center. And when the front clip came out, earlier that day i just happened to finally install the pin retainer wires, so i just pulled over and reclipped it. I probably didnt put it in good enough, and never again did I have any problems with hood pins.

SteveR
12-20-2005, 11:09 AM
i had the torsion ones i think, whatever ones you just slid in from the side and they have the one straight side and the other side has the bends. later on i started using the round pins with the straight pin in the center. And when the front clip came out, earlier that day i just happened to finally install the pin retainer wires, so i just pulled over and reclipped it. I probably didnt put it in good enough, and never again did I have any problems with hood pins.

the torsion ones are the round ones with the pin through the middle. I'm just a little nrevous about driving down the highway and the hood go flying.

V
12-20-2005, 02:02 PM
ok, well the torsion ones naver game me any problems. when i sold my 86 iroc to a friend, he went for a beer run and couldnt find the front 2 pins so he just used small zip ties...needless to say he got 3 houses from his home and came back carrying 75% of the hood. one corner was still on the car, and one torsion pin snapped in half, but he was just stupid.

bitchincamaro
12-21-2005, 10:17 PM
i have a pin on hood and i use the same style pin smoking ss is talking about. (pin which slides in the side has one straight arm to go through the hole and the other one has bends to pinch the hood pin). its nice being able to take the hood off to work on the vehicle but is a little bit of a pain in the ass. as far as them being cheaper they have alot less structural support then a bolt on does. the bolt on is reinforced where the hinges and latch would bolt to. this is why they weigh more too. depending on money, i am leaning towards a bolt on with pins or dzus fasteners in the front. i would take all the latch mechanism stuff out. a company with as good a name as glasstech or harwood cant afford to sell junk. i have heard nothing but good things with either company's hoods.

Firebird67dude
12-21-2005, 10:38 PM
The 67 i had had hood pins. I never had a problem with them. They never came out or anything. IDK but i am hearsing a lot lately about ppl's hood pins doing crazy stuff. lol

IROCZBeast
12-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Is that the Harwood hood?

I'm almost 100% positive that I'm going to go with the Harwood, I like the lines and design.