PDA

View Full Version : Got Inspired... Just to get Madd

BobonaStick
12-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Well... I got really bored one night... Decided to finally give my 85 Z the rear she needs. Swapped the rear out of a 88 Pontiac T/A GTA, the Drum to disc, one wheel wonder to posi swap... Painless job took less then 6 hours to finish both cars... I take the Z out for a ride and every damn bump I touch, I hear a clunk coming from the right rear. Everything is tight, and all the parts are connected, but I can't figure the noise out... It sounds like a Metal pipe banging around in the spare tire compartment. Anyone got a clue?

Savage_Messiah
12-19-2005, 02:07 AM
when you re-tightened the LCA's, was the suspension loaded?

BobonaStick
12-19-2005, 06:17 AM
Actually... no... I totally forgot about that...

Tru2Chevy
12-19-2005, 10:04 AM
The only other obvious thing to check would be the over-axle pipe for the exhaust. It may have gotten shifted at some point during the swap.

LCAs are a good bet though.

- Justin

deadtrend1
12-19-2005, 05:59 PM
i had that problem on my t/a when i first bought it. Put a new axel in (previous owner fooked it up real good) and the UPPER panhard bar was loose. The 3 bolts that hold it up to the body on the drivers side were only like halfway in. Also, the were rusted too so meaning it was like that for a long time.

Also, you really have to tighten those LCA bolts. On my old 'turd when I put lakewoods on, i tightened them, but it seemed not enough. I ran over some railroad tracks and they clanked. So, I put a good tight half turn on them and all was fine.

enRo
12-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Ahh that explains why my old WS6 sounded like the rear was gonna fall off every sewer drain I hit ... i thought it needed a lube job lol

V
12-19-2005, 10:56 PM
i think they already covered everythign it could be, lcas not tightened correctly, panhard bar loose, exhaust pipe... check those and you should figure it out.

and, did you change the propotioning valve too? lol

BobonaStick
12-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Yea I changed the valve... It was a complete swap. I checked everything... Still has that same damn noise... Got a slight feeling that it might be the rear bearings? I'll figure it out. Thanx guys