PDA

View Full Version : rear tire suggestions

Teds89IROC
12-19-2005, 07:49 PM
guess this can go here :shrug:

Anyway, my fronts are kumho ecsta 712's...I like them, they wear nicely, I still have I'd say a good 75% tread left. The rears are goodyear GS-C or something like that, bald as hell. I was thinking about buying BFG T/A DR's but I was reading and I've heard they don't last that long. Now keep in mind I only drive the car pretty much on weekends, though hopefully this summer I'll have it out more. So figure most of the driving will be done in the spring and summer. Do I go with maybe Nitto's? or just an extreme summer performance tire? I don't really want to spend more than $160 a tire.

~Ted

ar0ck
12-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I got my my 275/35/17 Sumotumo's from Tirerack for alittle under $200 for both. Their summer only tires, wear is decent, I think they hook pretty good on the street.

If you do DR's, are you going to actually run the car? :-D Other then that their useless.

Teds89IROC
12-19-2005, 07:59 PM
good point Alex, I'm gonna run it..but only after I do different mods, I don't plan on racing it at events or anything.

~Ted

NJSPEEDER
12-19-2005, 08:21 PM
if you like the idea of hooking hard on the street DR's are not teh worst idea ever. i woudl go with the new M/T's or wait for goodyear to get theirs out.
only problem is that the reduced tread depth and mush compounds become a little more than exciting in the wet if you get caught in some rain.
i would go with a regular street tire. sumitomo, kuhmo, yokohama all make good bang for the buck tires.

Frosty
12-19-2005, 08:58 PM
I need some rear tires. I picked up some stock F1's just to throw on the new rims and they SUCK on the rears.

Pampered-Z
12-20-2005, 03:41 PM
I've run Goodyear, BFG T/As ( none DRs) Dunlops M40s on my car, and now run Nitto DRs and I'd say on the street the Nittos hook better then a normal tire and will last 10-12K, and are Ok in the rain. On the track they are only marginally better then a street tire. I've never done better then a 2.0 60' with them.

The MT's and BFG DRs will out perform the Nittos, at the cost of having about 1/2 the life span. I heard the BFGs can't to driven in the rain.

qwikz28
12-20-2005, 05:30 PM
best two tires on the market are goodyear f1 gs-d3 and bfg kdw2 (new flame pattern). both are summer only tires. i've heard good things about michelin pilot sports but they are way overpriced. the above two tires are awesome. i'm gonna try the kdws next time i need tires just cause i've driven a car with the goodyears before and i just wanna try something new.

edit: sorry didnt read that last line of your post. both these tires are probably in the 200 range depending on size. i'll keep it up just in case anyone else gives a ****

NJSPEEDER
12-20-2005, 06:55 PM
goodyear and bfg are both 99% hype. all you end up paying for is the name.

qwikz28
12-20-2005, 11:46 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=10252&page_number=13

i know you guys all think those things are fixed, but i can personally attest to the goodyears. my buddy has them on his jetta and it even makes that thing handle like its on rails. those tires are unreal.

BigAls87Z28
12-24-2005, 07:28 AM
BFG's pricing is usualy pretty good. Goodyear, along with Bridgestone, have some nerve to price some of there tires up along with Mich.
A set of BFG's Gforce KDW at a 275/40-17 is probably what you are looking for. They arent of the new design, but still a great tire. Many people run it. Here is a link to them on Tirerack.com. A lot of good reviews of the tire on Fbody cars. Priced at $145 a pop on Tirerack.com.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+KDW&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=74YR7GFTAKDW&fromCompare1=yes&place=7

BonzoHansen
12-25-2005, 10:07 PM
...Anyway, my fronts are kumho ecsta 712's...I like them, they wear nicely, I still have I'd say a good 75% tread left...I'm sure I am missing something, but why not just match the front ones?

Teds89IROC
12-25-2005, 10:13 PM
because I've heard they suck on the rear.

~Ted

formulaMARK
12-27-2005, 01:21 AM
bfg g-force

slasherbarb
12-29-2005, 12:48 PM
bfg g-forcei second them...have them on my rear...love them...getting them for the front now too...

1QWIKBIRD
01-03-2006, 09:52 PM
best two tires on the market are goodyear f1 gs-d3 and bfg kdw2 (new flame pattern). both are summer only tires. i've heard good things about michelin pilot sports but they are way overpriced. the above two tires are awesome. i'm gonna try the kdws next time i need tires just cause i've driven a car with the goodyears before and i just wanna try something new.

edit: sorry didnt read that last line of your post. both these tires are probably in the 200 range depending on size. i'll keep it up just in case anyone else gives a ****

I've got the goodyear f1-gs-d3's on my firebird (275/40-17) and they are awesome in the dry weather and very very good in the wet weather, can't speak to treadlife yet, but my buddy got 40K outta his set so that's pretty good for anytire, but especially a hp tire on a hp car......

that's my 2 cents....

2MCHPWR
01-04-2006, 08:54 PM
i've driven the goodyear on a variety of racing conditions.
with a mostly stock vette at atco, i cut a 1.88 short time. that is pretty nuts for a normal tire. it was in a c5 that i took to 12.8.
i autocrossed on this tire in a 02 WS6 and it handled very well; high limits. I'm used to racing on R compounds so to say that i was impressed with this non-R compound is saying a lot.
At pocono, my buddy in his c5 (same one as atco) was racing with me on the track in the pouring rain. i mean monsoon conditions. I was on potenza re71 tires. the re71's are great in the dry, and i smoked him in the dry, but in the rain, i could not keep up. those goodyears rocked in the rain. So when i'm getting my next set of normal high-po street tires, i'm getting them.

Squirrel
01-07-2006, 12:04 PM
555R...go ggogogogogogogo