PDA

View Full Version : B&M Megashifter

Teds89IROC
12-25-2005, 12:01 AM
Anyone on here have one in their thirdgen? I'm a little confused by it, but one thing I do understand is the whole lockout and ratcheting thing. What I don't like about my stock shifter is if I do want to manually shift the car, I can run the risk of shifting 2 gears up or whatever, I know the megashifter will prevent this by having the ratcheting motion, but I guess it really makes no difference because if I want to upshift, no matter when I manually upshift, the car will only upshift when the trans normally shifts. Though I can downshift to any gear at any speed or RPM. The megashifter has nothing to do with that right? I guess I would have to put in a manual valve body? Anyone here have one in their 700R4 Tranny? I would like to manually upshift and downshift..but also have it in automatic when I'm feeling lazy..which I'm guessing is impossible to have both.

~Ted

ar0ck
12-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Automatic/Manual Valve Body. Thats what the Trans Am had. I left the shifter in open-gate I believe it was and it was exactly like Drive. When I entered Gate mode, and brought the shifter out of "Drive" it would stay in whatever gear I wanted it to.

Im pretty sure someone will clarify for me, but Im pretty sure you can get two kinds of valve bodies. One for Automatic/Manual, or one stricktly manual.

Frosty
12-25-2005, 07:07 AM
Automatic/Manual Valve Body. Thats what the Trans Am had. I left the shifter in open-gate I believe it was and it was exactly like Drive. When I entered Gate mode, and brought the shifter out of "Drive" it would stay in whatever gear I wanted it to.

Im pretty sure someone will clarify for me, but Im pretty sure you can get two kinds of valve bodies. One for Automatic/Manual, or one stricktly manual.

I believe you're right.

deadtrend1
12-25-2005, 07:07 AM
IT would only shift one gear at a time in racheting mode. You wouldn't beable to just put it all the way down to 1st gear from drive, you would need to do it one gear at a time. Then when you get into first, you could smack it as hard as you could, but it would still only go one gear at a time.

Then the reverse lock out ment just that. You wouldnt be able to go into revese from a foward gear without lifting the handle first.

If i remember correctly, you couldnt get into reverse from neutral, you had to do it from D.

Teds89IROC
12-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Alex, what company made your valve body? and which tranny did you have?

~Ted

qwikz28
12-25-2005, 10:35 AM
there are also reverse manual bodies which switch it from 3-2-1 to 1-2-3 from the top. its a real cool addition and you might wanna look into that

Teds89IROC
12-25-2005, 11:32 AM
I just did a search on TGO, I found that Transgo makes a shift kit for the 84 up 700R4. You can manually upshift or downshift 1-2-3 and it still keeps the TV cable so you can go to OD and it will shift automatically through all the gears..$135 They say you can do it yourself with simple tools, but I don't know. I was talking to my dad about it and he's good with that stuff, maybe me and him could do it. and I've seen the reverse valve bodies, but I think this shift kit keeps it all the same, just changes valves and things.

~Ted

ar0ck
12-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I had a transgo package in the TH350, Chris @ All star installed it as well. For the B&M Mega Shifter the patern is:
P
N (safety)
D (top gear, automatic

You click the sum bitch down to first when you get to a street light, and then click the hammer forward for each gear! Its so much fun!

qwikz28
12-25-2005, 04:28 PM
i feel like i can shift faster by clicking it down. can you comment on that alex?

ar0ck
12-25-2005, 05:14 PM
I dont know Jake, I loved the way the mega shifter was in the T/A it was so much fun. But I figure if your upshifting you hit it up right? To downshift you pull it down... I didnt have the position plate on it so I had it memorized. When I race I always go up in my seat, I dont recline because its like a tense moment or something, and it was just right with the T/A.

NJSPEEDER
12-25-2005, 05:32 PM
it is personal prefernce really. i have driven both, personally i am more comfortable with a traditional forward pattern.
reverse pattern bodies are also all manual, no automatic function at all.

maroman88
12-25-2005, 05:46 PM
i have a b&m in my 88 and its tons of fun and really tight, was a bitch to put in and yea id recomend one of these manual/automatic valve bodies thats being discussed

i bought my mustang with a B&M shifter already in it, i dont know how old it is but im gunna assume it has some miles on it and its a piece of ****!

in both cases the shifter indicator is broke..... so u really have to feel what gear your in

V
12-25-2005, 09:13 PM
my friend had a megashifter in his 87 iroc, but it would jam alot, i think it was just a crappy one he had. but while driving it one day i went to rev it at his younger brother and some kids and it wouldnt go into nuetral and popped into revers, smoked the tires nicely at 35mph, haha locked them up more like it. anyways i got it back into drive and took off, his bro thought i spun the tires, and little did anyone know i almostblew his trans, but the car was fine for about another year until he totalled it.

camaro2you
12-25-2005, 09:33 PM
i have a b&m in my 88 and its tons of fun and really tight, was a bitch to put in and yea id recomend one of these manual/automatic valve bodies thats being discussed

i bought my mustang with a B&M shifter already in it, i dont know how old it is but im gunna assume it has some miles on it and its a piece of ****!

in both cases the shifter indicator is broke..... so u really have to feel what gear your in

any pics of how the cable is set for the shifter i cant seem to get mine set right. :evil:

blck81z28
12-26-2005, 11:51 AM
ill get some pics of the mega shifter in my malibu later