PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Steering is all off

Draven94blackbird
01-11-2006, 07:46 PM
so hear it goes. My 92 formula was drifting to the right becouse the pass. tire was toe'd out. after puting it on the rack to do an aligment i got the camber and caster set but when it came to do the toe i was turning the sleeve and it didnt move. the tie rods were bottomed out in the sleeve on the pass. side (the tie rods on the driver side had some play room but the wheel was alredy toed correctly that i didnt have to touch it). i checked to see if the steering wheel is straight and it was locked in the sraight position. so i then turn'd the wheel to pull the tire in and then adjusted the driver side to come in just to get the wheels straight. but now i have a off center wheel.

The steering wheel, steering shaft and input on the steering box is keyed to fit one way and it was perfect before i ajusted it to just get the wheel straight. the flat spot on the gearboxs was up and the pitman arm was straight back to the driver and steering wheel straight but the tie rods on the pass. side were bottomed and the tire would not come in. i checked the length of the tie rods an they were the same length as the factory as for i had changed them, and the centerlink is factory and straight. the steering wheel is half a quaurter of to the left to make the wheels straight

What do you guys think is my box bad or should i make tie rods shorter or what becouse i am stumped. when the steering wheel is straight everything is keyed right but my pass tire is toed out and bottomed. and to temporaroly fix the tire were i have to have a misaligned steering wheel

BonzoHansen
01-12-2006, 07:25 AM
What is bent or misinstalled? Any new parts recently?

Has the steering wheel been off (they are not 'keyed') You might need to adjust the toe without referring to s/w center, then remove the wheel, recenter & reset toe. But that assumes nothing else is wrong.