PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Frozen A-arm bolt

MilehighBird
01-13-2006, 07:07 PM
I spent the last day and a half fighting with the drivers side A-arm. I have disassembled everything else for a total front end rebuild. The rear a-arm bolt won't come out. The nut came off but the bolt was just spinning and would come out. Not enough room on the back side to hammer, the fire wall and exhaust are in the way. Couldn't get a chisel or screwdriver between the bolt head and frame to pry it. Pulled on the bolt head with pliers no luck. I cut the bolt head off with a cuting wheel and then tried to punch it out with a punch and a BFH that didn't work. As I was running out of light and patience I tried using a c-clam to push it out from the nut side. I twisted the clamp as hard as I could but it wouldn't move. The bolt is completely siezed to the metal insert inside the bushing. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

HardcoreZ28
01-13-2006, 07:46 PM
It's been a while since I worked on mine but can you cut it with a sawzall between the frame bracket and the a-arm?

MilehighBird
01-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a sawzall but I was thinking about that today. It looks like a real tight fit but it might work. Do you think they have those at a rental place where they rent bobcats and power equipment?

On a separate note I think I met you at Fuds a while back. White Iroc with super ram tpi? Nice ride:).

MilehighBird
01-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Sawzal did the trick. I got it out today.

HardcoreZ28
01-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Good to hear. Yeah that's my IROC...thanks!

89 Trans Am WS6
02-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Next time dont cut the head off the other side off right away..instead try turning that side witha wrench it might break it free inside..

At work if that happens we usually heat it up with a torch and with a airgun try turning them out from the other side..beleive it or not sometimes that doesnt even work :(

Glad you got it out tho