PDA

View Full Version : screwed up trans

maroman88
01-22-2006, 05:59 PM
well i finally got my car running pretty good and after a few weeks i decided to get my leaky trans fixed and took the car to pat barret in westwood to get it sealed up. after i picked it up i noticed a faint thumping kinda sound and i was like ok ill take it back when i get a chance, no big deal since i have the mustang to drive. so i take it to get gas so i can drop it off in westwood tomarrow and the trans sounded horrible and i got to the gas station got gas and was on my way home and it was thumping really loud and was trying not to move and i left it about 2 buildings away from my mechanics....what the hell did they do to my trans?!?!? i hope i can make it 2 buildings away when theres no traffic later.

WayFast84
01-22-2006, 06:01 PM
is it like Thump thump thump Over and over?

maroman88
01-22-2006, 06:43 PM
yupppp

WayFast84
01-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I have that too! I never heard it untill after I had my trans rebuilt, at the next meet im gonna have some one ride in the car and see if they can diagnose mine..it runs fine and peels out other then that noise..

NJSPEEDER
01-22-2006, 07:45 PM
it is a constant noise? does it happen more or less as you get on and off teh gas? does it hit going over bumps?
a lot of the thumping noises that come from under there are from broken transmission and torque arm mounts. just get under the car and push on torque arm. if the trans goes back and forth as you push the tranny mount is busted, if the torque arm moves and the trasn stays still the torque arm bushing is busted.
it is fairly common to also damage the motor mount bushings if the trans mount has been messed up for an extended period of time.

camaro2you
01-22-2006, 08:03 PM
the thump is probably the tranny hitting the floor pan as tim said about the mount being broken.

WayFast84
01-22-2006, 08:11 PM
how much do they cost? and about how much to have put in?

NJSPEEDER
01-22-2006, 08:30 PM
they cost are pretty cheap, prolly around $30 each. you can put them both in with hand tools in an hour or so easily. no need to pay someone else to do it.

maroman88
01-23-2006, 12:13 AM
well it was stuck at a bagel shop so i just had it towed to the tranny place but the tow truck guy said it souded like it was comming from the rear and could have been a bolt or sumthin with the driveshaft (i hadnt heard the noise from outside the car until he drove it up onto the ramp and that was where the noise was comming from) so well see what the tranny place has to say tomarrow

maroman88
01-23-2006, 01:10 PM
well pat barret transmissions called back, i blew the rear AGAIN! last time i blew it it just had 373's in an open rear so i bought an eaton posi unit and new 373's and now there toast apparently.....i have NO money lol

V
01-23-2006, 01:25 PM
dahm, if i had a spare rear laying around id let you have it, but i got nothing, the last 3rd gen complete rear i had i sold for $25.

who installed the gears and posi? take it backl to them if it wasnt that long ago. D&C chevy did my rear in my ss and 2 months later it went again, hawthorne chevy got it first then and said it was poor workmanship, that they didnt tighten all the bolts properly. it then got towed back to D&c and they said they wouldnt warranty it cuz of mods to the car(springs and catback)

i can give you an open center section from an G-body, but its a 2 series i believe, and i can also give you a decent set of 3.42s but youd need a spacer for the 2-3series carrier

maroman88
01-23-2006, 01:53 PM
my mechanic instaleld the posi n gears like 4 years ago.... i only put maybe 15k well beaten miles on it of burnouts donuts and street/track racing lol, there guna take it apart at pat barret and call me back if they find anything else, maybe its not to bad, PRAY for me lol

Savage_Messiah
01-24-2006, 01:39 AM
how much do they cost? and about how much to have put in?

You make me wanna say "40 bucks an hour, what do you need done to your car"

WayFast84
01-28-2006, 06:23 AM
Allright yesterday while driving the car home from the mechanic the noise came and went.. while idleing we also heard the noise any ideas?