PDA

View Full Version : need quick help!

coldkilla
01-27-2006, 02:21 PM
my 1-2 shifts are quite firm and this morning when i was driving to work a heard a LOUD BOOM underneath the car! something is loose or broken and i believe whatever it is, is smacking the underside of the vehicle cuz it really doesnt sound like one part hitting another. every time i make a 1-2 shift there it is again and it did it when the tranny downshifted to 2nd when i floored it on the highway too. what the **** could this be? im 99 percent sure its coming from the p/s rear so i dont think its a tranny mount cuz that would come from right about next to my seat right? there are absolutely no drivability issues, the rear doesnt feel loose and i dont hear the tire rub the fender at all. i dont have time to jack it up today so im doing it tomorrow morning, i did take a quick look underneath and everything i could see, sway bar, shocks lca's lower phb mount, lower torque arm mount etc. all seem to be fine and i dont see any damage. what could be doing this that wouldnt cause any problems driving? maybe my upper torque arm mount snapped and its hitting the car when the rear end bucks under the hard shifts? my buttmeter feels like the p/s rear tire is running over something everytime the sound occurs also. anyways im gonna check tomorrow so ill post what i find but any ideas or suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

ins0mnia24
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Check your tranny mounts also

V
01-27-2006, 03:20 PM
yeah, sounds like a torque arm mount or tranny mount issue. Make sure the bolt in the front TQ arm mount didnt come out, if it did, the arm will pivot up and hit the floor, but will also drop down and appear normal soemtime if you look, also if the trans mount tore apart, youll get the same symptoms you are having. try placing a juck under the trans(use a larger piece of wood or such so you dont damage the pan, and slowly jack up the trans, if its a bad mount you will be able to see it lift up easily.

Ian
01-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Yup, sounds like a trans mount or a torque arm mount problem. Time to upgrade to poly mounts 8)

Tru2Chevy
01-27-2006, 10:49 PM
:stupid:

The only other thing that it might possibly be is a bad u-joint on the driveshaft, but that wouldn't cause anything to hit the floor of your car.

- Justin

coldkilla
01-28-2006, 03:41 PM
yup, just a broken tranny mount. 10 bucks and 20 min later, crisis averted. resume your activities.

Ian
01-29-2006, 06:04 PM
:w00t:

glad to hear it was simple. :)

Savage_Messiah
01-30-2006, 12:26 AM
Did you go poly?

coldkilla
02-01-2006, 05:49 PM
no i just got a rubber replacement since i needed it fixed and didnt have time to wait. the replacement was better than the stock piece too. the stock mount rubber only connected with the metal on the edges while the new one is rubber to metal contact all the way, weird. anyways ill do poly engine and tranny mounts in the near future.

Savage_Messiah
02-05-2006, 01:58 PM
If you have the stock torue arm get the poly bushing for that too

Ian
02-05-2006, 10:37 PM
If you have the stock torue arm get the poly bushing for that too

if you have the stock torque arm, get rid of it and get one that connects to a driveshaft loop 8)

Frosty
02-11-2006, 10:22 PM
if you have the stock torque arm, get rid of it and get one that connects to a driveshaft loop 8)

What does a driveshaft loop have to do with what the torque connects to? ;)

Tru2Chevy
02-12-2006, 12:44 AM
What does a driveshaft loop have to do with what the torque connects to? ;)

I think Ian meant to say get an aftermarket torque arm that mounts to the tunnel, and incorporates a driveshaft loop.

- Justin

Frosty
02-12-2006, 10:46 AM
I think Ian meant to say get an aftermarket torque arm that mounts to the tunnel, and incorporates a driveshaft loop.

- Justin

I know, I was just busting balls. :)

Ian
02-12-2006, 03:09 PM

- Justin

:werd:

and tony, you're gonna have to do better than that to bust my balls. :wink:

Batman
02-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Torque arm mount or tranny mount. Be careful with zipping around till you find out, if it is the torque arm you can push the driveshaft through the back of the transmission.