PDA

View Full Version : New springs

Teds89IROC
02-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Mine are stock and I want to replace them, however I don't want to lower the car. If I can, I'd like some kind of performance springs, not OEM, if its possible. Any recommendation as to what kind to get and where? Thanks

~Ted

GP99GT
02-01-2006, 04:07 PM
most, if not all, will lower the car, but there are some out there that will only lower it about an inch. see if GM performance parts has a set for your car, they make them for mine, they only lower it .9" in the front and .7 in the rear.

ar0ck
02-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Performance springs usually always lower the car. The whole point is to bring the center of gravity closer to the ground for better handeling. In my honest opinion all your car needs is to be lowered about 1" and it will look amazing, you wont regret it. Plus its not your daily driver so you dont have to worry about scraping all the time.

The only not lowering spring I can think of would be OEM. GM Performance probably makes springs, or just go with the regular Eibach Pro-Kit.

Teds89IROC
02-02-2006, 09:16 AM
The only thing I'm concerned with if I lower it is I'll lose traction and won't get a good launch. I have the LCA relocation brackets, when I put them in at stock ride height they will increase my traction, if I lower the car..they will just put me back to stock. I just looked under GM performance parts and AC Delco has a spring set for $15 or something, suppose to be OEM. Not sure what to do.

~Ted

Tru2Chevy
02-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Well you will pretty much have to comprimise Ted. If you want springs that will be good for carving corners, they are going to hurt you at the strip since they are designed to keep the car level. At the strip you want to be able to shift the car's weight to the rear easily.

I have an Eibach Pro-Kit with Bilstein HD front struts and Bilstein Race rear shocks. It's supposed to be a decent compromise between street and strip. Might want to find out what setups other guys are going for who have similar goals in mind. As a point of reference, the springs/shocks that are on my car were on Tim's '91 when he ran 14.2s with his 305 TBI. I don't remember what 60' times he could cut though, you'll have to ask him.

- Justin

MilehighBird
02-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Eibach Pro Kit would be a good choice. Remember if you have original worn out springs that your car is probably sitting a 1/2" to 1" lower than when it was new anyway so if you go with the pro-kit or Hotchkis springs your ride hieght might not drop at all. I went with MOOG springs because of my budget. I got #5662 which are Iroc replacement springs for like $50 from summit. Ride height only went up 1/4" so these might be a good choice if you decide to go OEM.

NJSPEEDER
02-02-2006, 09:05 PM
if you can find a set of WS6 springs the car will sit the same or only slightly lower than stock and you will gain spring rate.
the real loss in going to a spring for better handling is in the spring rate, not the ride height. as long as the car is level(no redneck rake) and the control arms/torque arm are adjusted properly you will still enjoy better than stock launches.

Teds89IROC
02-03-2006, 12:13 AM
great info guys, thanks. Tim, I thought the WS6 and the IROC-Z had the same suspension packages?

~Ted

Frosty
02-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Ted, the lca relocation brackets at stock ride height don't really help traction THAT much(IMHO).

I've been in a thirdgen with the prokit and it's a good setup. Just make sure you get a good set of shocks/struts to control the higher spring rate.

Batman
02-14-2006, 07:52 AM
http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1404. Also the WS6 and IROC had different springs, the WS6 was a heavier car.

MilehighBird
02-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Formulas were WS6 cars and were lighter than fully optioned IROC's.

camaro2you
02-15-2006, 11:11 AM
im running the moog iroc springs stock ride height. best of all there new.

Teds89IROC
02-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys, I also did a search on TGO and found a part number for new 02 WS6 rear springs, $60 each from GMpartsdirect.com. I might go that route. Then get moog for the fronts.

~Ted

Teds89IROC
02-15-2006, 02:46 PM
on second thought, it would be cheaper and probably just as beneficial to get that moog kit :lol:

~Ted

84HOtransam
02-16-2006, 12:36 AM
on second thought, it would be cheaper and probably just as beneficial to get that moog kit :lol:

~Ted

ive got a set of front ws6 springs brand new in the box...i will let them go cheap...

Teds89IROC
02-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks anyway man, but I think I may go with the Moog ones, I'll let you know if I change my mind.

~Ted