PDA

View Full Version : anyone running a blowproof bell?

1QWIKBIRD
02-21-2006, 09:49 PM
While the motor and tranny are out, I'm going to upgrade to an aluminum flywheel and beefier clutch, but after doing lots of looking around on this site and LS1tech there seems to be an alarming number of clutch/flywheel/pressure plate explosions (especially with regards to a certain manufacturer). So while everything is out I think for saftey's sake and to keep the NHRA happy I'm gonna put in a blowproof bell. I've gone to lakewoods site and mccleod's site but came up empty. Any other places to look? anyone got first hand expierence or things to look out for as far as fitment or other issues?

thanks
Chris

Batman
02-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Macleod definately has them, one of my friends is running it. If you can afford it it is definately a good idea to have one. If you are worried about fitment I can put you in touch with him and see what he says.
Here is a link to the bellhousing at T/R

http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=vshop&vid=3&pcid=18

Injuneer
02-23-2006, 02:43 PM
The McLeod SFI-rated bellhousing will be listed under their "modular" setups.... Look for part #8713, page 6 of the online catalog. Its part of kit # 8710 for the LS1/T56 combo.

http://www.mcleodind.com/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=w3ezmenudriver&menuvalue=38&currmenuid=WMM&src1=/catalog_htm/2003cat.htm&w3hostname=MCLEOD

When I was still running the T56 on my 94, I was using a ballistic blanket that had been converted over from an automatic setup. I got it used though, so no idea if they still make them.

1QWIKBIRD
02-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Thanks guys......one is headed my way as we speak...

Chris

Ian
02-25-2006, 04:51 PM
If you dont mind me asking, which manufacturer is having all these "malfuntions" ?

1QWIKBIRD
02-25-2006, 06:55 PM
I've see pics all over the place of clutches letting go, but lately I've seen pics of Spec stuff and lots of guys complaining about quality........could be for any number of reasons too numerous to list. That said, I just ordered my spec STage 3+ with aluminum flywheel. I know a couple people with them and they perform great under varying conditions (street, dragstrip, autocross).

Chris

Batman
03-01-2006, 07:18 AM
My Spec stage 3 lasted 5 passes at the track, I wouldn't recommend it.

2MCHPWR
03-14-2006, 03:12 PM
While the motor and tranny are out, I'm going to upgrade to an aluminum flywheel and beefier clutch...

dude, you have a cartek clutch. they hold 10 second rides. you didn't need to order that SPEC. unless of course you saw something on it that you didn't like. alum flywheel is way cool though.

1QWIKBIRD
03-14-2006, 05:42 PM
It was more of a preventative maintenance thing. There were a couple of hot spots (blue areas on the flywheel and the pressure plate), nothing major though. I just figured its out, its apart so now's the time....Probably not an upgrade, just maintenance. I am saving all the old stuff just in case someone needed a setup to get by......I got a couple other things going in the car also, so I'll be sending ya pics as I go.

Gotta get this thing back together so I can go make a complete fool of myself autocrossing....and hopefully at the end of the summer an open track event.....need to get seat time first.

Chris

WildBillyT
03-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Good move, and be sure to take care when you align it.

I have heard the exact thing about SPEC clutches. They seem to be affordable and hold for most people, but others have some pretty exciting failures.

Mike
03-15-2006, 07:38 AM
my spec 3 is holding fine, they do seem to be very hit or miss on the reviews though.....

owners are either very happy with them , or hate them...no one is just satisfied....lol