PDA

View Full Version : BALL JOINT HELP......

transmaro93
02-22-2006, 04:07 PM
hey guys.... i need to do some new upper and lower ball joints soon on my 97 formula..... i have a haynes manual and that just says to disconnect the control arm and bring it to a machine shop... but i dont wanna do that... id rather do it my self.... so does anyone know the proper way to remove and install them... iv never done them before on an f-body so i figured id ask around here first.... i was looking at one of the ball joint tools that kinda looks like a big c-clamp and has a bunch of different attachments on it and everything to press the joint out.... any help is greatly appreciated.... or at least if someone can tell me if that tool will work.... and the uppers i donno how those are held in there i never bothered to look at those....... thanks in advance.......

V
02-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Id suggest taking the uppers to a shop to do, since they come out so easy once the spindle is out. Several auto parts stores can also do it if they have a press. As for the lowers, im pretty sure you could do those on the car yourself if you have the right tool and attachments.

transmaro93
02-23-2006, 09:52 PM
yea but the kknuckle some comes out easy i have no problem getten the knuckle out and drilling out the rivits for the top im more worried about doing the bottoms cause they are pressed in i wanst sure if that tool would work... but u said u think it will so ill ask a few more people... maybe ill pick it up one of these days i need it anyway for work so why not....... thanks for the help