PDA

View Full Version : NEGATIVE CAMBER??

transmaro93
02-25-2006, 07:07 PM
hey guys... i lowered my car like 1.3 inches recently and it looks like my camber is negative in the front.... it might just be my mind playen tricks on me... i havent gotten a chance to get it on the alignment rack yet cause i need to replace ball joints and tie rods anyway so ill do my alignment then... i just didnt know if anyone that has a lowered 4th gen knows if when u lower the camber changes in the front.... im worried i might wear tires... i believe there is a camber adjustment but you need a special alignment tool to do it...i dont know if my shop even has it... anyway thanks in adavance for the help........

Frosty
02-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes it'll change.

...and yes you need that tool or some creativity :)

198esp1
02-26-2006, 12:03 AM
When you lower a car the camber does change a little more negative but toe changes alot. bumpsteer also is changed If you can have the alighnment done with a person in the driver seat. That said having a driver in the seat changes all the specs. Stock springs I had -.7 camber 4.5 caster and 3/32 toe out. Lowerd camber went-1.5

transmaro93
02-26-2006, 10:09 AM
ok... yea i figured that camber changed... but thats adjustable and so is toe.... what about caster did ur caster change drasticallly to where it was way out of spec.... and is caster adjustable... iv never done an alignment on an fbody so i dont know if it is or not.... i know camber is adjustable at the control arm..... what about caster... thanx for the help guys......

198esp1
02-26-2006, 12:00 PM
yes caster is adj the rear bolt on the control arm is the caster adjuster

BonzoHansen
02-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Get it to an alignment machine. You really ought to have the alignment checked when ever you make suspension changes.

transmaro93
02-26-2006, 04:06 PM
o no i am deffinitly goin to align it... i just need to replace all of my ball joints and tie rods so im waiting tiilll i do that...i dont care about these tires becuaes i am getting new wheels soon and tires so if i wear these a little it will be alright.... im not putting my new tires on untill my alignment is all settled and in spec.... 198esp1 now i thought camber was adjusted with the control arm bolts.... they do camber and caster at the same time or somthng....... im bidding on one of those camber adjusting tools on ebay right now.... im just curious i mean ill have one of hte guys at work help me if i cant figure it out but im sure ill be fine.... thanks for the reply's guys

Injuneer
03-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Don't let them use the stock 4th Gen alignment specs. They aren't all that great for a stock height car, and really bad with a lowered car. I had the front end down 1.8", the back down a little over 1", and used -1.0deg camber, +4.0deg caster, and 0.1 toe. Worked great, good grip, no uneven tire wear.

BonzoHansen
03-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I always liked more caster than that, but that was my 3rd gen. Mine liked closer to 6*-7*.

Out of curiosity, why are you bidding on a caster adjustment tool?

transmaro93
03-01-2006, 05:35 PM
i do my own alignments... i didnt think that my shop had one but they do so i didnt bid on it.... how bad wil my car be with the stock alignment specs... caues i dont want to use your numbers then have to do 2 alignments because my car is set up a little differnt... my car is lowred maybe 1.5 front and back five or take a couple of tenths... im not saying your wrong im just saying that the cars are set up different it might affect it..... thanks for the reply's

Frosty
03-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Do NOT and I repeat do NOT use the stock specs. They suck ass.

Injuneer specs are pretty common. I'm running very close to his specs with an Eibach prokit and I like the way it handles.

198esp1
03-01-2006, 08:12 PM
my car is -1.7 camber , caster is 4.5 any thing more and its to slow and the p.s pump will hate you. toe is 1/16 out the toe helps with the turn in.

Frosty
03-01-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm around -1.3 camber, 4.5 caster and toe is neutral.

BonzoHansen
03-01-2006, 08:54 PM
You guys run a lot of neg camber. You chewing up inside edges of the tires?

Frosty
03-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Nope.

transmaro93
03-01-2006, 08:59 PM
well i guess im gonna do -1 degree camber.... and 4.0 degree caster.... but now when u say .1 toe do you mean .1 total too or .1 on each side... and thats toed out you guys run your cars toed out like that???? and whats so bad about the stock specs.... i mean i dont want to chew tires with negetive camber and positive toe becuase im going to be spending $500 on tires soon i dont want to buy more tires next year....

Frosty
03-01-2006, 09:12 PM
I run neutral toe so I can't help you there.

-1 camber is fine.

BonzoHansen
03-01-2006, 09:36 PM
I used to run my toe at the toe-in side of the factory settings (IIRC a real slight toe-in). As I understand it, under hard braking and cornering, they naturally toe out a bit. That, about -1.0 or -1.1 camber and ~6* caster and that car was dead straight at 100. (I'll agree this may not be the best auto-x setup, but I was looking for more high speed stability). I liked the feedback & feel at those settings. But the R&P set up in the 4th gens may act totally different; I don't have any real experience with them.