PDA

View Full Version : dont know where this goes..

WayFast84
02-28-2006, 09:34 PM
but Ill put it here

How do slicks work,drag radials and regular tires?

If tread=traction why do slicks have no tread?? :confused:

camaroAL
02-28-2006, 11:19 PM
slicks have the best traction on the track, when doing a burnout you are heating the whole contact surface of the tire therfore full surface contact with a stickty tire=traction, a tire with tread is said to have more traction in street and offroad applications, not racing, on the street you are dealing with debris,oils rain snow and things of that sort. in this case you need tread to grab on to these elements. and for rain tread actually on some tires is made to channel the water away from the center of the tire. same thing with off road vechicles with big knobby tires, they use those tires for aggressive traction. a drag radial has the best of both worlds you have some tread which makes it handle some road debis and wetness, and has a large area of flat surface for racing purposes. i hope this has helped you with your questions.

Mike
02-28-2006, 11:19 PM
tread = traction in variable road and weather conditions

compound= hardness or softness of a tire are another big contributing factor, and thats why higher speed rating street tires, as well as slicks, dont last as long as regular street tires, the softer they are the better they stick the faster they wear.

so a properly prepared track + a hot soft slick = traction (somtimes)

Mike
02-28-2006, 11:22 PM
a drag radial has the best of both worlds you have some tread which makes it handle some road debis and wetness, and has a large area of flat surface for racing purposes. i hope this has helped you with your questions.

i disagree, the "tread" cut into most drag radials isnt there to help on the road, its there to pass dot tests, my gforces were useless in bad weather and thats with stock hp

camaroAL
02-28-2006, 11:26 PM
some debris and wetness, ive used them too..

coldkilla
03-01-2006, 11:04 AM
the drag radials only exist to allow you to drive to the track, race, and drive home without having to change tires when you get there. slicks are not road legal, drag radials are.

WayFast84
03-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys!

Tru2Chevy
03-02-2006, 01:24 PM
slicks are not road legal, drag radials are.

Full slicks aren't but there are some bias-ply tires that are, Like my Hoosier Quick Time Pros. They look just like a slick, but they have a few narrow grooves cut into them to pass as legal tread. They are legal for road use.

- Justin

Injuneer
03-02-2006, 03:47 PM
But Hoosier gives you the "death could happen" warning when you try and look at the QTP's on their website, and tells you they are not intended for street use.

Tru2Chevy
03-02-2006, 06:06 PM
But Hoosier gives you the "death could happen" warning when you try and look at the QTP's on their website

Very true....but they are still legal if you like playing with fire. I got mine with about 2 weeks worth of street driving on them for $200. Once I get the car on the road and use them up I plan on switching to an MT ET Street Radial....

- Justin

84HOtransam
03-03-2006, 05:23 PM
lol the hoosiers arent too bad..i had them on a wet highway on my way to the track once..made for an interesting drive