PDA

View Full Version : passing emissions

turboISboi
03-14-2006, 03:11 AM
hey guyz,

i have a quick question about emissions,... justin move this if i'm in the wrong forum.

i have an 04 IS300 and am having trouble passing emissions.

i have a single turbo kit installed which deleted all 3 cats

the inspection is saying that i have failed the evap system and the catalyst system.

i am wondering if an o2 sim and reinstalling the cat located after the downpipe will allow me to pass inspection?

have any of you had a similar problem and if so, what did you do to pass?

any help would be awesome.

Mikey

Mike
03-14-2006, 05:31 AM
pm me if ya want

JL8Jeff
03-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Did you go to a DMV inspection station or private? You'll fail the visual if you don't have the cats. It depends on the codes that they say you are failing for but a sim could solve the converter failure code. The EVAP is the system that pulls the vapors from the gas tank so a failure there is something you should probably fix. Did you disconnect any vacuum lines when you did your turbo kit?

Savage_Messiah
03-14-2006, 08:16 AM
What you can do is weld cat shields onto the piping at (if possible) the locations of the original cats, and install sims... that way itll LOOK liek youve got cats and the computer will agree. On the evap... I have nothing to say besides what Jeff said

Tru2Chevy
03-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Mike's in Tennessee, not NJ.

Mike, I would call up the shop that installed your turbo and ask them if they had to make any changes to the evap system when they installed the kit. Getting sims should cause the catalyst code to disappear.

- Justin

Savage_Messiah
03-14-2006, 09:09 AM
oh... I just assumed he was in Ewing since that's what his location says :lol: didnt even know TN has inspections :P

turboISboi
03-14-2006, 04:10 PM
justin's right,.i am living in TN now, sorry for the confusion. i have to go to a company called envirotest with which tn has a private contract. they administer the test at their private locations. i have a fake cat welded onto the pipe where the cat should be so i pass visual no probs.

i have talked to Turbo East and they say that i should buy their black box which reduces emissions when switched on. i talked to a GM head engineer and he said to reinstall the stock cat, because the o2 sensors are still there they are just reading @ 1sec intervals instead of 3 sec intervals because of high flow w/out the cat.

as for the evap prob, i did disconnect a hose to install my boost gauge, but does that have anything to do with it? the gauge works fine so the vacuum is still sealed.

do normal shops have comps to deal with these things? like all these friggin codes from emissions?

Mike

89 Trans Am WS6
04-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Is the check engine light on?

Judging by your post it doesnt seem you failed because a MIL was present, but because the catalyst and evap MONITORS were not ready..

If the light is on..how long has it been? The evap system could be not ready because your gas cap wasnt screwed on right one time when you got gas. :(

Catalyst may not be ready because of the mods and it has a code or because it cant/hasnt gone through a full drive cycle..

Your best course of action is
Is check engine light on?

What codes are present...

Then you can see whats next..