PDA

View Full Version : Rattling/Buzzing from shifter...

slayerxxx213
03-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Ever since I got my car the shifter, (factory Hurst), has made a rattling and buzzing sound at full throttle. I don't think it's anything serious but it is annoying as hell. I've heard that it could possibly be the throwout bearing...Anybody have any ideas? I'm just trying to figure out if it's something worth tearing into it to try to stop the noise or if it's something normal I have to live with.

Tru2Chevy
03-22-2006, 01:27 PM
May be a stupid question, but did you check to make sure that the shifter is bolted down tight?

- Justin

slayerxxx213
03-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Well, the actual stick itself is bolted down tight...I've never looked at anything below that...The car has been doing it since day 1. At first I figured it was normal but it's becoming progressively more irritating to me...I'd have to break the silicone that's sealed around the base down there, think it's worth a look? The previous guy said the dealer put the shifter in, so maybe something is loose...

I'm just having a hard time believing that the mechanic who did it would be so incompetent that he couldn't manage to bolt it down correctly :) ...

ins0mnia24
03-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Does the vibration go away when your up to the speed you are going for and after your rpm's drop?? Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?? sometimes certain rpm's set off different vibrations in your car depending on how low or the frequnecy of the exhaust.

98tadriver
04-09-2006, 07:03 PM
I heard the stock shifters have rubber isolators or something, and the better ones have metal, to get rid of all that slop. and thats what causes the noise

Mine is the same way, Im not worried about it.

Pampered-Z
04-10-2006, 09:13 AM
When in gear if the shifter has no play then it is just the Hurst shift design and is actually common. Mine did it badly at cruising speed and drove me nuts so I swapped to the B+M ripper which doesn't buzz.

There isn't anything you can do about it. A factory shifter has a dampner that prevents vibration, but does cause the shifts to be less crisp.

If the shifter feel loose when in gear then the problem could be the Isolator that TADriver is refering too. There is a small plastic "cup" that fits between the slider ( Offset cup) in the trans and the ball at the end of the shifter. Over time or hard abuse they can become worn and damaged.

Oddly, the T56 service manual states to inspect the Isolator and Offset Cut and replace if worn, BUT no one ( GM, Ford or MOPAR ) sells just the isolator any longer, if it's damaged you need to buy an entire factory shifter assembly to get the $3 part! I know of no aftermarket replacement.