PDA

View Full Version : Converting to LS1 front brakes...what do I need??

slasherbarb
03-26-2006, 09:09 PM
I have heard great things about upgrading the front to LS1 style brakes. I'm just not sure what I really need to do it...I know I need the rotors, pads, calipers, spindles...but is there antying else i would need???

But for some reason I am not sure what brakes I have, since everything in my car is from an LS1(except the motor and front body)...I know my rear pads are the exact same as the LS1 rears(since i bought and intalled them while working at Strauss)...but are the fronts the same way?? I don't want to buy all of the stuff for LS1 brakes if I might already have them...

ar0ck
03-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Im pretty sure the front brakes are the same and only the 98+ Rear brake system changed. I could be wrong.

coldkilla
03-27-2006, 07:31 AM
the 98 and up front brakes are indeed different from the 93-97 brakes. go measure your rotor, if its 10.9 inches, its an LT1 rotor. if its a 12 inch rotor, then you have LS1 brakes. the LS1 brake upgrade is economical and effective as you gain a bigger rotor and an aluminum 2 piston caliper capable of holding bigger pads over the LT1's smaller cast iron single piston. you will need the LS1 spindles, calipers, rotors, and brackets. you might have to modify the brake line slightly or just upgrade to LS1 lines as well. check ebay for packages that are cheap and just get new pads and rotors if needed. beware of bent spindles tho and good luck. check out www.frrax.com for much more in depth detail and answers.