PDA

View Full Version : T5 hydraulic clutch hose

V
04-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Ok, I have a T-5 hydraulic clutch setup, and I need to replace/extend the OEM hose that goes from the master to the slave cylinder on the trans. Its for a custom install and i need to add some length. How would i go about doing this? The oem line is like a hard plastic line and id like to almost just cut it and install a hard metal line to add the length but id have no way to connect the plastic and metal lines. I MAY be able to get/make a hard metal line to replace the entire plastic line itself. My concern is just that i keep the same Inside Diameter of the hose now. Also i dont think that the extended length would affect the clutch operation that much. The vehicle will not be a race car, just a cruiser with a mild 305.
Are there any companies i could contact to have a line made even? any info or advice/help would be appreciated.

V
04-07-2006, 05:40 PM
this picture is what the end of the master lookes like. It is just an opening the OEM plastic hose fits it and that metal pin pushes in to hold it in place. I had a scrap piece of 3/8" tubing that fits closely with a flared end(actually tpi fuel rail end/power steering end) I was thinking i could maybe put a 1" of so length of 3/8" tubing in it, push the retainer pic across and fit any gap with some type of epoxy. Then i'd use a 180 degree -6 AN earls fitting and then run either tubign or braided line to the clutch slave and do a similar attachment method down there. My question with that is, first how much pressure will the expoxy hold(it wont be all thats holding it together, the pin would eb doing alot) and also does the braided line have any give to it like expansion wise and would it be better maybe to use hard line?
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/clutchsetup1.jpg

V
04-09-2006, 04:26 PM
so nobody knows anything? i guess ill figure it out for myself.

84HOtransam
04-09-2006, 08:50 PM
I was in touch with a guy in PA that uses a wilwood master and a hydrualic throwout bearing from McLeod...with a TKO600 trans and a 383, custom length braided hose...i think messing with the length/diameters of the setup would be a bad idea...

what is this going into..what about a mechanical clutch setup?

V
04-09-2006, 10:30 PM
mechanical is impossible, it must be hydraulic just due to the location of the pedal vs the trans. and the project is not worth doing a full custom master and hydraulic throwout bearing. Im gonna pick up a spare master and slave and try some ideas. i looked at the tpi/lt1 vette setups and they have lines way longer than the fbody so im not worried about extending the length, and the internal volume shouldnt really matter since it is based on a priciple of fluid movement, if say 100ml moves out of the master, it will move 100ml into the slave regardless of the # of ML in the line itself, as long as the line doesnt have diameter expansion.

84HOtransam
04-10-2006, 10:38 AM
your right about the fluid movement...i never thought of it like that..

what about cutting the hose somewhere and use a compression fitting to conenct to copper.. braise the copper fitting to 1/4in or 3/8 copper tubing of whatever length then back to copper fitting and another compression fitting back to plastic tube....

your idea with the epoxy may work as long as the brake fluid wont eat through it..

V
04-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Problem solved... i found a nifty little part from summit. converts the rollpin type fitting into a 4AN fitting. so i need 2 of those fittings, 2 4AN line fittings, and whatever length of 4AN line i want.

deadtrend1
04-14-2006, 01:29 PM
AH! good find ... :)

V
04-14-2006, 02:53 PM
and then i just found a 48" stainless steel braided teflon coated line, with pre assembled -4 AN female ends(for brake and clutch applications)... that should be the right length. yes it'll cost about $100 for the three pieces(2 fittings, 1 line) but then i'll have a perfect fit setup, no custom fabrication headaches... i love Sumiit racing, lol.

84HOtransam
04-15-2006, 12:49 AM
awesome