PDA

View Full Version : !front swaybar

Brando56894
04-09-2006, 06:12 PM
what are the disadvantages to this? i would think that there would be a handling difference, but kasey says that there isnt any in his car. just wanted you POV on this

Little G
04-09-2006, 11:24 PM
You will notice that it will understeer a whole lot. If you are accustomed to taking turns pretty tight and are not willing to give that up, don't do it. I've been running without a sway bar for a while now and I just know what my car's limits are without them. It all has to do with what you are willing to live with in the name of ETs. Get rid of those heavy ass ground effects and I'll know you're serious.

g

Brando56894
04-10-2006, 12:22 AM
i guess im not serious then :D

Savage_Messiah
04-10-2006, 12:39 AM
I guess I don't push my car too hard, lol. I didn't feel much diff... and from being in your car/watchign your drive brandon you dont take turns nearly as hard as I do now (I've calmed down a LOT) so I still say go for it... and rip those GFX off, theyre heavy, and honestly it looks better without em... they look tacky with the like 2-3mm gaps between the GFX and the body.

Brando56894
04-10-2006, 12:47 AM
oh well im keepin them on! :D

Savage_Messiah
04-11-2006, 11:15 PM
dummy

oh and I showed brandon the... handling limits... of my car earlier, I think it was enough for him to want to ditch the sway now. lol.

V
04-12-2006, 12:32 PM
...i dunno... i guess ill never understand the concept of stripping every luxury and ounce of weight from a daily driver. I get why james and craig do it, but kasey and brandon now too.. its contaigous. these are still your daily drivers. are you going to seriously be competing for the quickest v6's or just wanna get in the 13s? Are you both planning to do future mods or always be around 14s? maybe its just me, but i like my SS to be fully loaded, full tank of gas, full stereo system and I ran low 13s bone stock. But i know everyone has an opinion of what they want to do to their car and i respect that. AS for me, i will never give up my a/c of stereo system, ill just make sure my motor will compensate for the weight.

deadtrend1
04-12-2006, 04:51 PM
...i dunno... i guess ill never understand the concept of stripping every luxury and ounce of weight from a daily driver. I get why james and craig do it, but kasey and brandon now too.. its contaigous. these are still your daily drivers. are you going to seriously be competing for the quickest v6's or just wanna get in the 13s? Are you both planning to do future mods or always be around 14s? maybe its just me, but i like my SS to be fully loaded, full tank of gas, full stereo system and I ran low 13s bone stock. But i know everyone has an opinion of what they want to do to their car and i respect that. AS for me, i will never give up my a/c of stereo system, ill just make sure my motor will compensate for the weight.

true that home skillet. I ditched the swaybar on my old bird because the endlinks snapped taking it off and i never bought new ones. I can't remember why i pulled it off but there was a reason for it.

GP99GT
04-12-2006, 05:04 PM
i think brandon needs all the handling help he can get, with all that swerving he does on the parkway :shock:

jaysz2893
04-12-2006, 05:06 PM
i wrecked my car due to the massive understeer in an emergeny manuver. I had the sway bar off. I dont reccomend it. i feel that if it was on the front would not have plowed as bad. I say just get good endlinks and keep em lubed. THen when itis time to go to the track, take the end links out. Just my 2 cents

Brando56894
04-13-2006, 08:29 PM
i think brandon needs all the handling help he can get, with all that swerving he does on the parkway :shock:

:stfu: :twisted:

im kinda half and half on it, some ppl that have done it say that there isnt a handling difference at all and others say that there is..... i guess i could take it out, see how it liek it, and if i dont just put it back in. thats the only true way i can tell if i wanna do it i guess...

as for the AC i never used it so it was dead weight to me..... same with the EGR i never used it :lol:

IcemanSS
04-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Ok some one with a 4th gen answer me this, did you notice anydifference at the track withou the sway bar in? A 10th of a sec anything. I have wondered for a lond time what would happen if I removed it, just for the 1/4 mile...

Brando56894
04-14-2006, 02:36 AM
just taking the sway off wont give you a tenth, the rule pretty much is for 100lbs (1600 ounces) you gain a 10th. take the sway off and 3 of the seats out and then you might see something :D

jaysz2893
04-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Ok some one with a 4th gen answer me this, did you notice anydifference at the track withou the sway bar in? A 10th of a sec anything. I have wondered for a lond time what would happen if I removed it, just for the 1/4 mile...

all i noticed it the weight transfer seemed better. I had sticky DR's on too. I put new shocks on the rear and the car feels the same now with the sway bar as it did without it during a launch. The only advantage i hear of not running the sway bar is the better transfer of weight, that hepls keep the tires planted. I guess you could see an inprovemnet over stock, but a good set of drag springs can do the same thing

project89
04-14-2006, 11:14 AM
without the sway bar u just get better wieght transfer, its not really worth it to ditch the bar,the friggen bar wieghs what 10 pounds tops.

V
04-14-2006, 11:38 AM
im pretty sure they were originally referring to removing the front sway bar, not the rear. The front sway bar is basically useless at the drag strip so removing it would just drop a little weight, BUT like brandon said.. every 100lbs equals 1/10th of a second so removign it would only give you maybe a .02 second better ET... which i dont think is worth it if for some chance you need to make a sharp manuver while driving to the track, only to wreck because of understeer.

Tru2Chevy
04-16-2006, 02:07 PM
im pretty sure they were originally referring to removing the front sway bar, not the rear. The front sway bar is basically useless at the drag strip so removing it would just drop a little weight, BUT like brandon said.. every 100lbs equals 1/10th of a second so removign it would only give you maybe a .02 second better ET... which i dont think is worth it if for some chance you need to make a sharp manuver while driving to the track, only to wreck because of understeer.

The weight of the bar isn't as big of a factor as the weight transfer on launch. Having the front bar bolted up will cause less weight to be transferred to the rear tires by limiting the extension of the front suspension.

- Justin

IcemanSS
04-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys for clarifing. I will use this the next time I go to the track.

Ian
04-16-2006, 06:55 PM
The weight of the bar isn't as big of a factor as the weight transfer on launch. Having the front bar bolted up will cause less weight to be transferred to the rear tires by limiting the extension of the front suspension.

- Justin

:werd:

people remove the front sway bar so that the front end will "unload" better. with the bar in and connected, it limits the movement of the front suspension, but with it out the front suspension gains a lot more movement and travel distance. Allowing the front suspension to move more freely, you gain a lot of weight transfer. No one removes the bar for weight savings, its only removed for improved launch characteristics.

WayFast84
04-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Well sometimes, peoples luxurys dont work. or they have a HUGE! lack of power, and need all the help they can get :rofl: I say take the ground effects off, how ever its gonna cost alot of money if you want it to look nice with out the rivits.

Brando56894
04-16-2006, 08:40 PM
the ground effects are stayin on!! :D and my dad came up with a good question, does anyone make electric A/C systems instead of pulley driven ones?

Savage_Messiah
04-16-2006, 08:44 PM
get why james and craig do it, but kasey and brandon now too.. its contaigous. these are still your daily drivers.

Craig's car is his daily driver

V
04-16-2006, 10:36 PM
yeah i know craigs is too, but he went full out, kasey, y do you still have a radio then? lol

as for the sway bar, ok so you launch better...but you still have v6s... hehe :twisted:

NJSPEEDER
04-17-2006, 11:51 AM
the ground effects are stayin on!! :D and my dad came up with a good question, does anyone make electric A/C systems instead of pulley driven ones?

not that i am aware of.you can get an electric water pump, little g has one and it works great. supposed to free up 5-7rwhp :)

Brando56894
04-21-2006, 11:13 PM
yea i know about the water pump, i was j/w cuz it would be weight reduction and no load on the engine and you could still use the a/c :D

Savage_Messiah
04-22-2006, 05:00 PM
a/c is for pussies (and if genie starts the whole "when I'm drivign around visiting clients..." rant then it's OK for her to have it :lol:)

IROCdan330
04-22-2006, 05:27 PM
i thought unbolting 1 end link (driver side maybe?) was sufficient enough to allow the unloading?

Tru2Chevy
04-23-2006, 12:12 AM
i thought unbolting 1 end link (driver side maybe?) was sufficient enough to allow the unloading?

It is, but if you leave it on it's still 10-15 lbs over the nose of the car :)

- Justin

Brando56894
04-26-2006, 07:17 PM
:stupid:

IROCdan330
04-26-2006, 07:20 PM
It is, but if you leave it on it's still 10-15 lbs over the nose of the car :)

- Justin

understandable...then again id drop my compressor, accumulator, condenser, air pump and what not, back seats, stock hood, carbon canister, etc, before id entirely remove my sway bar (thats just me)...then again i enjoy a little corner carving from time to time...

Tru2Chevy
04-26-2006, 07:42 PM
It's only 6 bolts....if you have new endlinks and bushings it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to swap completely on and off, start to finish.

- Justin

Brando56894
04-27-2006, 03:50 PM
hmm interresting, didnt know that

Tru2Chevy
04-27-2006, 05:37 PM
hmm interresting, didnt know that

Yea, you'll just have to be careful when doing it that you dont' mess up any of the threads...

- Justin

WayFast84
04-27-2006, 05:46 PM
how much do they honestly way?

Brando56894
04-27-2006, 07:19 PM
about 10-15 pounds total prolly, one of the admins of FTV6 compiled a list of what all the parts on a 4th weigh, pretty interresting list to read if your curious

IROCdan330
04-27-2006, 07:24 PM
i didnt feel like 10-15 pounds when i was putting mine in a while back...then again it wasnt up there too long.

Brando56894
04-27-2006, 10:28 PM
heres the list guys:

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=194474&postcount=8

and the front sway and brackets weigh 14lbs according to ross (hawgs)

Savage_Messiah
04-28-2006, 12:11 AM
If you want I'll go to the garage and weigh mine this weekend