PDA

View Full Version : Starter ********

IROCdan330
04-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Anyone got any quick ways to get your car started (automatic) besides tapping it? My heat soak has gotten pretty damn bad, 2 minutes of driving in the city and my car won't restart for quite sometime. I was just curious if anyone has any ideas before i put a new starter on (ive got one in my back seat, i just need a lift so it will be someitme this week).

qwikz28
04-16-2006, 05:58 PM
fiddle around with the wires and bang the crap out of it.

Ian
04-16-2006, 06:47 PM
get a heat shield for it. I know Koll had some pretty major heat soak issues with his starter, but I think he just went and got a mini starter.

qwikz28
04-16-2006, 06:49 PM
get a heat shield for it. I know Koll had some pretty major heat soak issues with his starter, but I think he just went and got a mini starter.
yeah that would be a good idea for the new one but as a temporary fix i would definately fiddle around with the wires and keep banging at it.

IcemanSS
04-16-2006, 06:56 PM
:stupid:

BonzoHansen
04-17-2006, 07:35 AM
You might want to get a better starter and a sheild if it will fit. Better (bigger) battery cables, including better grounds.

IROCdan330
04-17-2006, 09:10 PM
ok well i replaced the starter today. funny thing is, the problem isnt cured. right after we put in the new starter, tried to crank it, nothing. checked the starter, it was getting 5 volts...shorted the pins, it cranked. wtf. right now there is a hot wire in a nutshell that is direct ignition from the starter to the ignition switch. no ******** in between. we by-passed a relay that my alarm was tied into (the alarm is on valet mode currently anyways)...

a 5 volt signal is a reference signal for numerous sensors, im wondering if a starter wire is cross shorted with one of them.

anyone have any other ideas?

Slow 88
04-20-2006, 12:37 PM
ok well i replaced the starter today. funny thing is, the problem isnt cured. right after we put in the new starter, tried to crank it, nothing. checked the starter, it was getting 5 volts...shorted the pins, it cranked. wtf. right now there is a hot wire in a nutshell that is direct ignition from the starter to the ignition switch. no ******** in between. we by-passed a relay that my alarm was tied into (the alarm is on valet mode currently anyways)...

a 5 volt signal is a reference signal for numerous sensors, im wondering if a starter wire is cross shorted with one of them.

anyone have any other ideas?

I am not sure about your 5 volt situation but I have on two occasions that I bought a starter and it was bad too!! Talk about being pissed off!!

IROCdan330
04-20-2006, 06:37 PM
oh no, the starter works just fine haha...its the rest of my electric stuff that doesnt.

my volt gauge scared me yesterday reading below 13...i check the battery with the engine running at idle with a dmm and it read 13.9 so i was back to being ok. however i did a surface discharge (positive post to battery casing) and it read 9 volts. damn. i dont feel like cleaning it...im thinking about an optima red top.